turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1ST for me....

Started by Texforce, April 30, 2019, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texforce

While working a love-sick Texas Tom the other day, yelped at him with my box call, he blasted a gobble back,  looked to my left, and 20 yards away is a bobcat, sitting there - staring right at me-----shook me up so bad, I spooked the in-coming Tom. I guess a little humorous now that I look back on it, but at the time - nothing funny about it all, for ol' Texforce !! Any of you guys have experiences w/bobcats while calling?? I'd love to hear em.   Good Huntin'

chadly

I've seen a few while deer hunting and I've never had concern but I'm in a tree.  Youtube has several videos of them attacking turkey hunters. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXf00_avzoA

Old Gobbler

They are super rare to come across in my part of Florida , but I have called a bobcat up before , we do however have recently a abundance of coyotes where we didnt before and I feel they could somehow be competing for food in those areas
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Muzzy61

I called a bobcat across a 20 acre field a few years ago. It was entertaining until he got about 20 yards away and was still closing ground. I dropped my box call and did my best air traffic controller impersonation....
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

I've called in several while turkey hunting.  I usually throw a rock at them. thanks
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

I worked a bird for 4-1/2 hours sunday and finally got him easing to me. He hit 40 yards and was hidden by a slight knoll. I knocked safety off and was waiting on him to pop up. Out of the corner of my right eye I caught something running past me at 20 yards. It was a coyote. He ran down toward the gobbler trying to catch him. The bird was gone and the coyote hesitated about 50 yards out. I shot him straight in the butt with Tss. He drug his backend and was gone. I shot him in the only place I could. Second yote this year that screwed up my hunt. What was bad was it was my last hunt of the year on my lease i despise yotes , fox and bobcats.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

I have never seen a bobcat while out yet but I've had plenty of coyotes and even a fox spook birds.  A few times they were actively seeking the turkeys others they merely were passing through and still made the bird uneasy. I've shot a handful of the coyotes that really messed things up for me

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Southerngobbler

I had a small bobcat roll one of my turkey decoys before. It was still dark out and I thought I had time for a quick nap. I woke up to the sound of plastic trashing around and saw a small bobcat run off. I had not called yet. I probably see one a year when im deer hunting and get 3 or 4 pics a year of them on game cams.

bobk

I have had bobcats, coyotes and  black bears approach while I will calling. The one's that suddenly appear at a close distance  have been a little unnerving. Several bear popped their teeth,  huffed and blew. Really don't care for that.

Ctrize

I can relate, we were bow hunting southern Texas and I was predator calling on a fence row. Had called in two coyotes without a shot then an ungodly scream from behind me cause me to turn. Sitting on his haunches thirty yards away was a bob cat. Still the most blood curdling noise I have heard.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Called in several coyotes while turkey hunting. I have crossed path's with a few bobcats over the years while turkey hunting but I don't think I have ever had one come to my calling. You must be calling to much and too loud!!!! LOL

Campwv

A few years ago I was setup on a field edge and had one come to within about 5 ft before it realized I weren't a turkey. I wouldn't have believe what happened next if I hadn't seen it myself. The bobcat slowly walked out to about 30 yards when a hen turkey popped over the hill. That turkey proceeded to chase that bobcat off. Ran it clear across the field.

cracker4112

I've called in several down here in FL. I called one up this year that I saw stalking me from about 75 yards away.  It got to about 25 yards and I slowly reached down to pick up my phone to try a snap a pic of it, and it came at me.  I had to yell at it to stop it.  Even them I had to get up to run it off.  Got this pic.

afhunter1

I've called in a few.  In my part of PA we got a good population of them.  The two most memorable was one I froze and let him come to bout 5 feet off my boots.  Yanked my headnet down and said Boo!  He covered 100 yds in 3 bounds I swear.  He might still be running!  Ha ha. The other that was kinda cool was when I had a gobbler bout 100yds down a steep ridge from me gobbling good on roost.  It was just at flydown.  I made some soft clucks and bout 2-3 minutes later I caught movement in brush pile in front of me bout 30 yds out.  I thought it was the gobbler so I tossed up my gun and waited.  He never came out so I started to look around a bit.  After bout 5 min my eyes finally focused on this small tree with two trunks coming out of the stump.  He was sitting 15yds away looking at me through the gap in the trees.  I waved, he just sat there.  I pulled down my headnet and he just sat there.  I stood up and he took off.  They really have faith in their camo.  I think I walk by 20 for every one I actually see.  Pretty cool animals.   

Tail Feathers

Hunting in E. TN some years ago I called a big bobcat.  It was sitting about 25 yards off trying to figure what I was when a big black bear walked by about 75 yards out.  That bear took his attention off me and my attention off him.
Both of them left me alone pretty quick but it was cool to see.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!