OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

On the board in SD

Started by Swenny, April 29, 2019, 10:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swenny

On the fourth day of sitting out in nature I finally got my 2019 bird.  He started gobbling like crazy around ten am, but was quite a ways away.  I was able to easily keep him located and using cover crept to around sixty yards of him which took me a little over an hour. A little more calling and he appeared out of the evergreen line on the river bluff right in front of me.  I was hoping he'd come a little further, but he was strutting and gobbling, looking for the hen he thought was coming and didn't seem like he was going to come closer.  I dropped him after lining up a nice shot,  I figured he was between forty and fifty yards, and rangefinder confirmed forty five.  A little further than what I'm happy with, but he dropped nicely with one shot. I've never had one this hot this early in the season. He was responding to every call that I made, and was gobbling at every occasional hen and Tom.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

turkeymanjim

I
Way to go. Is that a true merriam or hybrid? The tail feathers look a little darker for a merriam.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Swenny

I've gotten some purer Merriam and Rios out there, but mostly the birds are more hybridized in that area.

Swenny

I've gotten some purer Merriam and Rios out there, but mostly the birds are more hybridized in that area.

joey46

Congrats!  Nice bird and excellent story.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

Gobblerslobber

Congrats! I just left SD, tagged out this morning in the snow!

Wisgobbler

Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crghss

Nice, I'll be in black hills end of the month. Can't wait.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

renegade19

RutnNStrutn

Nothing wrong with that. Congrats!! :icon_thumright: