OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

4-29-19 3rd time was the charm

Started by turkeyhunter91, April 29, 2019, 09:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

We got off work a little early today so I decided to go after a couple birds that I have hunted a time or 2 this season. Well they was in the field when I pulled up. I slipped along the fence and was next to a tree that I was thinking about setting by but I decided to move about 10 yards closer and I started to take a step and looked and seen 1 of them standing there. I heard the dreaded putt but he didn't know for sure what i was and the other 1 had no idea what was going on. I dropped back and started up the creek bed, I was hoping to be able to get up in front of then but I ended up spooking them again but they still didn't know what I was. I ended up deciding to leave them and go to another spot to check a bird I had seen a few times. I pulled up and seen 2 hens in the field. I decided to slip in on him like I had the previous 2 times to a big pile of dirt in the edge of the field. Sat evening I called him to about 120 yards but his hens ended up coming in and he lost interest in me. This evening I took my decoys with me and set them up the direction I thought he would be in. I layed down behind the mound of dirt, slid my vest off and got the calls i wanted out. I yelped a few times on mt slate then yelped and did clicks and cutting on my diaphragm. A couple mins later I could hear 1 clucking but I couldn't tell if it was in the field or down the ridge beside me. After a few more mins I did some more calling and I heard 1 clucking down the ridge beside me and I looked and I could see it was a tom on the ridge beside me but he was going over the hill and was almost behind me. He started to walk on over the hill and when he did he stepped behind a big tree and i rolled over on my side and brought my gun up. Soon as he stepped out from behind the tree i shot and seen him flip over. I jumped up and took off running but by the time I got to him he had flopped almost all the way to the bottom of this big hill, but I didn't mind carrying him back up haha. He came the opposite direction that I thought he would and he never seen the decoys. I called my wife when I was driving to that farm to tell her where I would be and she wished me good luck and I told her that people always say 3rd time is supposed to be the charm but I'm not gonna hold my breath but this time I was blessed and it was. He weighted 21 pound 15 ounces, had a 10 in beard and 1 1/8 spurs.

Yoteduster

tomstopper

Good job. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Clydetaylor1

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase