OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Eastern NC 2019  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Gobbles

• NC Turkeys
Eastern NC 2019
« on: April 28, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
I was able to put ears and eyes on some toms during youth week of April 13th before the season opened for adults. I had in place a plan A,B and C.

Every area I scouted out in the Croatan Natioanl Forrest I was able to pinpoint some turkeys. Mostly by shock gobbling to my crow or owl call. I seen plenty of signs of turkey tracks, scratchings. I found a couple of roosts that were litterred with scat and feathers at the bottom of the trees.

I set up on some birds opening morning just to have them pitch off the roost into a private field. The toms where gobbling their heads off before opening morning but seem to have gone quiet now.

It's been windy here, which doesn't help all, the rain has held off for the most part this season. I've been concentrating on low lying areas where they go to get out of the wind. I've learned that if you can find where then hens are nesting, that the hens seem to be going back and forth to some toms that are hanging around near their nests.

Opening morning the woods/swamp was full of hunters in the Croatan, its slowly tapering off and I might be running into 1 hunter any day I'm out there now.

I was drawn on a lottery hunt in the Rock Run Road Game Lands. Again I seen a lot of signs of turkeys. I even busted one off the roost while head to a spot one morning.

Makes it tough to hunt them when you can't hear or see them. I'm going to take what I've learned and set up in areas I think are prime for turkeys. I've put many miles on my boots this season.

Haven't had a ol tom come within range yet. Just under 2 weeks left in the season here in NC, just hoping I can put one in my shotgun sights.