OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opening day in Pa  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Caspar

Opening day in Pa
« on: April 27, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
Today was finally the first day of Pa turkey season. it was a horrible day  as usual.. it started out bad when i woke up late. as i was driving up through the woods i was stopped about a mile short of where i normally park due to a downed tree across the road so i had to park and walk from there. i shouldv just turned around and went home because the wind was ripping. gusts were around 30-40mph. i ended up walking almost 5 1/2 miles and never heard a peep. i wont be able to get out again until may 6th. sure hope it gets better

Offline ads1

Re: Opening day in Pa
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
Wow, that sounds like the start of my season. It will get better. Hang in there!
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

Offline Caspar

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 05:06:45 PM »
thanks ads1. i sure hope so

Online squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
Sounds like a few of my hunts this year! 

It’ll get better when you hear that first gobble!!!

Offline Caspar

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:54:25 AM »
yes it will squid. i cant wait to hear that first gobble. thatll get my blood pumpin. i think its going to be a rough season though.  im on vacation next week and theyr calling for rain every day. hopefully it changes and i get a couple nice days in.

Offline Caspar

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »
finally getting back out in the woods tomoro. i havnt been able to hunt since the first day because of work. i guess the birds were gobbling good on monday. a few of my buddies got birds. im like a kid at christmas again anticipating the hunt tomoro. of course i dont get a nice day like guys had on monday. i have to contend with thunderstorms, gusty winds and possible hail.

come on turkey gods! is it too much to ask for at least a half decent day??

Offline Caspar

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 09:16:40 PM »
well my wish for nice weather was granted. we have had beautiful weather friday, monday, tuesday and today. unfortunately the birds have been extremely uncooperative. friday i walked about two and a half miles and finally struck a bird. he was about 300-400 yards away when he first gobbled but i couldnt catch up to him. he either had hens with him or didnt like my sexy talk but as i slowly tried to close the distance he just got further away. i finally had to give up when he crossed over onto posted property. i went to a different area and walked another two miles and didnt hear a peep. monday i walked four and a half miles and didnt hear anything.  yesterday was a five and a half mile stroll. i managed to call in a hen but our conversation didnt elicit any action from a tom. today was a three mile trek and once again i heard absolutely nothing. tomorrow is calling for rain so im sure there wont be any gobbling activity and friday is calling for severe thunderstorms. saturday is suposed to be nice again though and im going to keep at it. im not going to give up but my season is not looking very promising. o well, tomorrow will probably be another day of disappointment but i guess walking around in the woods is better than being at work. at least im getting some good exercise
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:25:14 PM by Caspar »

Offline ads1

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »
Don't give up! Just to get out in God's creation is such a good thing!!! :turkey2:

Offline Caspar

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 01:56:42 PM »
i dont want to give up but im almost out of options as far as places to hunt. i only have one place left that i havnt been to yet and i havnt killed a bird there in like 10 years. im at a complete loss as to whats going on. maybe my calling is so terrible that im scaring them away? idk.  but im seeing fresh scratchings everywhere ive been. ive tried calling from the ridge tops, from down in the hollows, on the flats and down in creek bottoms. i thought maybe the birds just werent gobbling so today i spent two hours at three different locations. i didnt  see or hear anything again. the weather is supposed to be pretty bad tomorrow so i may just stay home and relax.

Offline ads1

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
Have you tried locating their roost. if you are seeing sign they have to be in area. get out at least 1 hour before sunrise and listen for gobbles off roost. Don't call but move toward birds as quickly as possible, then call sparingly and not very loud,  anyone got any other suggestions for our hunting buddy?

Offline Caspar

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 07:53:51 PM »
thanks for the help ads1. i appreciate it.
 i havnt been getting out early enough to locate them on the roost because ive always been afraid of bumping them. plus i slept in a couple days. today i finally made it there about a half hour before sunrise. i was just barely able to see without a flashlight walking in. i walked about a mile but didnt hear anything and didnt bump anything.

Offline ads1

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 06:11:46 PM »
If you are careful you will not bump turkeys off roost. Probably need to go in at least 1 hour before sunrise. Sounds like your turkeys are moving around some. I've been lucky to be retired and get to scout a lot before season and go every day until I score. Plus I have a lot of turkeys on Private land. Hang in there. You will score!

Offline Caspar

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 09:08:14 AM »
thanks ads1. i really appreciate all  the help and the confidence booster. my vacation is over and im back to work. i thought last year was bad when i was off for a week and only heard 5 gobblers. hearing absolutely nothing completely blows my mind. for the last ten years ago i could stroll to the woods between 7-8 am and hear at least a half dozen by noon
im going to try and get out for a few evening hunts. if i dont kill a bird im hoping that i can at least figure out where they are roosting so i can hunt them saturday morning

Offline ads1

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »
That sounds like a plan! Early in season I didn't hear much when they were with hens. Only exception was when I pulled them my way with a soft tree yelp. If they flew off after a hen, I was not going to score. Later in the season when the hens get bred, Gobblers would roam and come to a call mid to late morning sometimes earlier. Don't be afraid to get within 100 yards of roost but while it is dark. I sound like an expert, but I am really not. ;D

Online squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
Hey you looked like a pro with those pennyhead Gobblers!