OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Indiana Gobbler

Started by varmint101, April 26, 2019, 06:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

varmint101

I got up early of course anticipating a glorious early morning hunt. Well, that wasn't going to happen. It was pouring and the wind was ferocious. So, I just stayed in had breakfast and got the kids off on the bus. Then I headed out. The rain stopped a bit before 8. There was a big Tom strutting out in a small cut corn field where I could hunt already. I waited until he went into the woods and tried after him, but never a peep. I then preceded onto National Forest land. I thought I heard a couple super far off gobbles, but never could confirm. I happened upon a soaking wet hen who was sitting on 10 or so eggs!  Makes one think taking a bearded hen may not be a good thing in the spring. I also found a partially rotten old  aluminum arrow someone had shot many many moons ago. I set up for a while and called for a while all to no avail. It was very windy and I don't know that anything could hear me anyway. Not to mention my feet were soaked from going across fast running creeks. I decided to pull up stakes and go to another part of forest, but when I got there the lot was full so I didn't bother going in late on someone's setup already. Time to hit 80 acres of private ground that hasn't been very good in the past for turkey. It was about 10 then I believe.

I get there and start walking and calling. I get to a point call and nothing. Then a crow caws and bam a gobble RIGHT by. Crap! I hurry to get setup, but it was too late. I looked up and that tree limb sure looks like a turkey heard. Noooo! He just turned around and walked off. I stay there a little while longer and never did get anything else going. Walked to the end of the property and saw another hen. So, I decided to walk the line and head down again to the public forest after that.

I got to a spot and just started going through calls for some reason. On my 5th call BOOM a gobble!  (Gooserbat Heckler)Well alright! Let's go. I set up and wait, call again and hear another gobble this time closer. Wait another bit and call lightly and nothing. Call louder and OBBLE OBBLE only this time to my east! This gobble sounded HORRIBLE! Thought man this had got to be a Jake and I don't care. Whoever wins first! I then hear something RIGHT next to me. Oh man. I slowly turn my head and it's a buck munching by right in front of me. Whew. I wait for him to get out of my way and call again. OBBLE OBBLE OBBLE OBBLE! Oh snap there's two jakes and they're RIGHT there! But they have to cross a raging creek and run up a decent, thick hillside to get to me so I don't have high hopes.  I call some more after not hearing a thing for 5-10 minutes and nothing. Figured I either blew it or they are right there as often times coming close they don't say anything. Out of the corner of my eye I see a red and white head lowered coming through the brush! Ooo! Alright! I have one long opening I can shoot. He goes behind a tree and I raise and ready. He pops out and sees my decoys raising his head up. BOOM!  At 1131 my 20 gauge rolls it's 2nd Tom. I sprint down and make sure it's done. What a morning! A solid 2 year old bird. 21.7lbs, 10" bears, 1" spurs if it matters to anyone. I soak it all in and thank the Lord for a beautiful morning! Walking around 5 miles through the hills and hollers was a chore, but worth it. Glad I changed to a Montana decoy. So much easier to pack all that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oakraidia

Nice bird, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

1tiogabowhunter

Yoteduster

Waynesworld23

Great bird I like your two hunting buddies in your one picture
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Doug

Mtd69

congratulations way to stick with it