Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wyoming boy heads to Iowa! GOT IT DONE (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Started by POk3s, April 26, 2019, 04:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

The minutes are SLOWLYYYY ticking by at work. I have a long 11 hour drive to make tonight/tomorrow but at the end of the drive is my first crack at an Eastern gobbler. I have 10 days off to try and kill a public land bird in Iowa, and if I pull it off, I plan on hunting my way back through Nebraska and the black hills of Wyoming. I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time, and almost picked up a leftover in Iowa last year but decided against it. This year, all the seasons got moved up a week so it seemed like a perfect time to do the trip. The weather looks pretty bad with scattered thunderstorms, cool weather, clouds, and 40mph gusts Saturday. 30mph Sunday and Monday. So I'll have my work cut out for me but I'm looking forward to it!

I hate social media more and more each day, but if anybody has the desire to follow along I can be found on Instagram at @twilliamswy or on Facebook at "Trent Williams Outdoors."

Here's a few public land western white tips my dad and I put down a week and a half ago.

Yoteduster

Good luck on your trip..iowa is a great place to hunt easterns in

oakraidia

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

zelmo1

tomstopper

Congrats and good luck

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

Bet you can get it done !! Good luck!!!!

POk3s

Thanks fellas. Stayed the night in southwestern Nebraska last night. As bad as I wanted to just catch a few fours of sleep in the truck, I had to much gear and not enough truck camping gear. Bit the bullet and got a hotel room for 5 hours.

captpete

Don't know what part of the state you are going to be hunting, but the weather forecast for Saturday is 4"-8" of snow from Highway 20 and north. 1"-4" from Highway 30 north to Highway 20. A mix of rain and snow south of Highway 30 to Interstate 80. All rain south of Interstate 80. Winds of 25-35mph with gusts of 45+mph.

Sunday is supose to be better. Partly cloudy, cool and breezy. 24* around Highway 20 for Sunday morning, then warm up to about 55* with 10-20mph winds.

Then they are calling for rain every day next week.

I will be out Sunday morning in the Highway 20 area. Not really looking forward to hunting in 4"(or more) of snow.
Good luck and hope you connect!!

idratherb

POk3s

Pete, I'll be in southwest Iowa. I see all the rain and wind. No snow with what I'm looking at but who knows. I like to make things real tough on myself and come when the weather is the worst! If nothing else, I may have the woods to myself!

fountain2

Finding a good place to hunt an eastern wouldn't be too hard to find with you having merriam to work up a swap.  Of the Iowa weather knocks ya down, make a quick post before you leave and you may can find something to hunt on the way back and possibly work out a trade to help someone with a merriam. 

captpete

Quote from: POk3s on April 27, 2019, 09:58:19 AM
Pete, I'll be in southwest Iowa. I see all the rain and wind. No snow with what I'm looking at but who knows. I like to make things real tough on myself and come when the weather is the worst! If nothing else, I may have the woods to myself!

My info was for the eastern half of the state. I think that is where most of the crap was suppose to be. I think the western part was just suppose to be some rain & wind. Good Luck!

1iagobblergetter

I was all over the northern part of iowa heading from the west to the east and into southern Minnesota. It didn't get as bad snow wise as they made it sound. I actually later in the day seen 4 gobblers strutting together in Southern Minnesota.
It would have been miserable hunting,but you can't shoot one on the couch. Definitely for me it would have been a blind and decoy day if you could keep everything fom blowing into the next county...Goodluck and keep us updated...My son and I are tagged out already for the season.

POk3s

Got it done this morning. Yes the weather pretty much sucked but it turned out okay. When I got cold I'd go drive around, learn country, look for tracks, etc. There was more gobbling than I really expected with the weather.

This morning I got under a couple birds and they pitched 6 miles the other way. I then went and sat a field edge where I watched a gobbler travel the day before. Nothing. I had heard another bird gobble close to another public section early in the morning so my plan was to make one more loop and then head over there. I made that one more loop and ran into this guy with two Jake buddies. After I shot him, his buddy flogged him. First time I've got to see that in person.

oakraidia