OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Awful quiet here fellers  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Awful quiet here fellers
« on: April 25, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
Just because I have only got to hunt two days don't mean the rest of you guys can slack off. Dont look like I get free again till Sunday and then its guiding for others. I still have a tag for each state(WV and MD) but am trying to hold off and help some others out to get the most out of the season.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Awful quiet here fellers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
Just because I have only got to hunt two days don't mean the rest of you guys can slack off. Dont look like I get free again till Sunday and then its guiding for others. I still have a tag for each state(WV and MD) but am trying to hold off and help some others out to get the most out of the season.

Ha, who's slacking? So far 2 for 2 with one tag left and season is young yet.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:09:44 PM »
very slow here, been a terrible season for me so far.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
Only thing that I heard today was the wind.   Heard 3 yesterday but the hens quickly took them.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »
Only thing that I heard today was the wind.   Heard 3 yesterday but the hens quickly took them.
Yes, there have been a lot of hens hanging  around  them. Kinda a good thing though I guess. It looks like i may be able to get back into the woods Tuesday and Wed. I am hoping all these storms have passed through by then.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »
Good luck, hunt safe and be "Happy"  :TooFunny: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 08:03:55 PM »
Good luck, hunt safe and be "Happy"  :TooFunny: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:
Oh I will be. The spring woods are hard to beat for entertainment. Specially if there is a turkey gobbling.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:15 PM »
Got a 2 year old opening day and didn't take the time to score it. Hunted hard 4 days last week and didn't hear a gobble three of them. Have a buddy who heard a pile of birds over the weekend when I didn't make it out so hopeful I hear more this week.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »
I'm looking to take Friday off but the weather doesn't look great right now.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 01:22:24 PM »
Well I took today off and got my rear end handed to me by the birds today. Only heard 2 distant gobbles at daylight but got on a bird at about 7:30. He gobbled well but had a hen with him. I hung with them till 11:00 and we covered a good 1.5 miles. I circled him from every way possible but every time I would get within 80 yards she would start taking him the other way. Twice I got within 60 yards and that would really upset her. Nostop cutting for 5 minutes while she rapidly retreated. It was obvious I wasnt gonna kill him short of bushwacking him and that's not my style. So I think it's back to work for the rest of the week and then taking the next week from Tuesday on off. Hopefully the hens will have pulled off a little by then.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »
Looks like rain Thursday and Friday here.  I'll get out Saturday and Sunday.  Looks like I may go to Massachusetts and hunt the end of the month. 

Good luck

Offline jarbo03

• The Boss Gobbler
  • FEAR THE BEARD!!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
Tried getting my brother a bird last weekend, no luck.  Haven't had many chances to get out myself.  Buddys from Louisiana coming in on Thursday.  Hunting around home Friday morning  then heading west to look for Rios.  I'll take a bird if the right opportunity comes up, if not I'll get back after them when they leave.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Smooth_Operator

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 06:39:36 PM »
I’m in for two and a half days starting in the morning, I’ve killed two birds this season but otherwise it’s been disappointing. Haven’t hunted a whole lot since my last bird but the times I’ve been I’ve heard zero gobbles. Been hearing reports of the same in my area by friends/contacts. Been a slow year for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 06:53:27 PM »
Congrats Bill!