OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rate of gobble

Started by Southernson13, April 23, 2019, 10:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernson13

Does anyone have knowledge of studies done one how often Tom's gobble? I have heard 4 day cycle, 3 times per spring when they get lonely, and roughly once a week. I'm also curious about aging based on gobble. Was told once that the longer the gobble the younger the bird(they are out to prove themselves)

fallhnt

Yes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

catman529

I don't think length of gobble has anything to do with age, and if it does, it's the older birds that have longer gobbles. Just from what I've seen with turkeys I've killed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marc

I do not understand the question?  I have not even started drinking yet...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

steveo

Not an expert by any stretch but don't believe there is a 100% foolproof way of determining a Gobblers age by his gobble! Lord knows I've been tricked by jakes that shook the leaves from the trees !!.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: steveo on April 24, 2019, 09:34:39 PM
Not an expert by any stretch but don't believe there is a 100% foolproof way of determining a Gobblers age by his gobble! Lord knows I've been tricked by jakes that shook the leaves from the trees !!.

Yep,

Spitten and drummen

Fact. I have called in 2 diffrent jakes this year that I would have bet the farm they were longbeads. The first one I wasted close to 3 hours on and he worked like a old bird.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Harty

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 25, 2019, 08:47:33 AM

Fact. I have called in 2 diffrent jakes this year that I would have bet the farm they were longbeads. The first one I wasted close to 3 hours on and he worked like a old bird.

Yep, happened to me more then once through the years! You just never know. Gotta just play it out

Happy

Nope. But I would be willing to guess that in most cases it's less as they get older.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

zelmo1

I like the " rattle" of older birds. I have noticed that jakes gobble much more than older toms, on the average. But all birds are unique, its all a learning experience.  :z-twocents:

limbhanger777

called in 15 jakes last weekend during the youth season here in NY and I would have sworn the way the one bird gobbled he was an old tom. I think it all depends on the bird, I've heard some pretty funny sounding 3 year olds too

TauntoHawk

I mainly only shoot super old mature Tom's, like most the time they are so old they've worn their spurs down to about 3/4in and rounded and their teeth are worn down to nothing too.

But I know there are even older birds out there that have gotten so old they started to lose weight, and their beard hair has receded to only a few inches, spurs wore to nothing, and their gobbles become weak and frail and they often are disoriented and act confused at time. You can also identify them by the fact they start to lose length on their tail fan feather around the edges, these are old probably 15+ year old birds.

Ha, but no since you can't really age a dead bird beyond Jake, Tom, and possibly older Tom I don't read into anything on the gobble. Some sound silly and I assume they are jakes, and some boom and rattle and it certainly is fun to interact with a bird that seems to shake the trees with his gobble but i don't assume his age based on that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ihuntoldschool

The question was a bit unclear.  I think he is trying to determine whether toms cycle their gobbling in a 4 day cycle, gobble 3 times per spring, gobble only when they are lonely or gobble once per week.  Maybe I misunderstood his question, again it wasn't worded clearly at all.

Basically I would say no.  Don't believe everything you hear or read in a study on gobbling.  Just go hunt.

larry9988

When someone figures out why turkeys will gobble their butts off one morning, then not say a word the next, when weather conditions were virtually the same, please let me know.