turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Georgia season finished

Started by Sixes, April 22, 2019, 03:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

Bird #1 (3/27): Silent bird that came in a couple weeks back right before I was headed home. I had heard nothing all morning and everything just seemed dead. I was getting ready to go home due to work when I heard this bird start drumming and for me to hear one drumming, they have to be close. Sure enough, a few minutes later I heard it again and the bird stepped out about 25 yards from me.
2019turkey1 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

Bird #2 (4-8): I killed this bird on the same property as the first one. Once again, crappy weather and no gobbling, I hunted several hours that morning burning a lot of boot leather with nothing to show. I was walking out on our main road to go get a bite when I saw this bird strutted on our gasline on the nest hill from where I was walking. I slipped back over the edge of the hill and sat down thinking that I will call and see if he wants to play and if not, I will try a sneak attack. First set of clucks on a trumpet and he cut me off. I waited a minute or so and called again and gobbled again and was in the dip between the hill he WAS on and the one I was on.  A few minutes later, he was at the edge of the woods and gasline about 30 yards from me. 4 hours of boredom followed by 10 minutes of bliss.

2019#2 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

Bird #3 (4-21) My Dad and I left on Easter afternoon for a quick hunt on some land my uncle leases before I leave for Steinhatchee midweek for some inshore fishing and as luck would have it, I went to some hardwoods/pine bottoms and sat up on some fresh scratchings. On the first set of calls, I heard him cluck back in that hard gobbler cluck and a few minutes later, I could hear birds coming though the leaves and this one and another longbeard were high tailing it to me. I called again and this time, they both fired back so I kept on calling and they kept gobbling and hurrying to me like it was a foot race. I shot the one that won the race! :TooFunny:

Anyway, that is a wrap for the season. Gobbling was off for me this year, some mornings they really hammered, but most morning they were quiet.

2019turk3 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

KentuckyHeadhunter

Awesome job buddy!  We need to get together soon.  Go get some speckled trout at Steinhatchee now!
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tomstopper

Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Sixes

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 22, 2019, 03:40:51 PM
Awesome job buddy!  We need to get together soon.  Go get some speckled trout at Steinhatchee now!

No doubt about that, we live too close to not to get together.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

eddie234

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sixes

shoer2

Congratulations on great season.

gergg

Wow, great season, congrats.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

boomer

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Harty

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr