OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3 Prairie Birds

Started by SD_smith, April 21, 2019, 08:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

Started out hunting the Black Hills on Saturday. Got on some birds, but were very henned up and made an escape. Lots of other hunters around and some rough weather was moving in for today, Sunday, so headed back home and swung through the very southern end of the Prairie Unit I live in. Found 6 strutters and a pile of hens right at dark on a small creek bottom out in the middle of the nowhere. Eventually found who owned it and knocked on the door then they let me have at it. Came back this morning and found them in the dark skylined in the trees. Setup a Jake decoy and a couple hens right under the roost because I figured they'd jump down and whoop him. WRONG. They jumped down just out of gun range all around me and strutted and gobbled with their hens for about an hour or so. They all joined back up and started filtering down the creek bottom. I started sneaking behind them hoping to eventually get in their bubble and they'd come to a call. Finally caught up to them and yelped in one of the strutters to about 20 yards. The rancher also told me their old house farther north had a couple birds running around it. Headed that direction after a nice cheap cigar break next to the creek. Pulled in and could see the two gobblers on the side of a draw on the backside of the farmstead. Crawled into the cow pens and let out a loud yelp. They both gobbled and came running about 150 yards. Shot the lead bird at 15 steps and immediately felt bad about leaving his buddy all alone in this world....so I ended his loneliness as well. I don't feel particularly bad about that because on the drive into the last farmstead I seen 3 different hens all separated and definitely bred by the way they were acting. There will be more birds to come.

spaightlabs

Congrats.

Sweet slippers.

boomer

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

Congrats, very good day indeed

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

shoer2

joey46

SD_smith

SoDak_JD

a_jabbo

That's a heck of a morning! Congratulations on 3 beautiful birds.

tomstopper

Very nice. Congrats.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

zsully

Congrats on a great day!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

POk3s

Didn't take you long. Congrats man.

nebgoosehunter

Awesome job getting three in one day!