OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Little help with a gun dilemma?  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Thebody

Little help with a gun dilemma?
« on: April 21, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »
I've shot 12 gauges pretty much since I started Turkey hunting.  I had an over/under that would kick your shoes off and I currently use a Mossberg 835 ultimag.

I normally only feel the recoil at the range, never when I'm shooting at a bird.  But the last couple birds I have shot, my neck paid the price the next day.  I have a bulging disc which normally doesn't bother me too much.  And now my shoulder is starting to ache. 

I know I should ditch the 3.5 inch shells, but I have a Winchester 1300, 20 gauge I actually forgot was in my safe.  It's not camoed out and it can take chokes. 

I'm really thinking about starting a gun project and I am going to Google the heck out of it. 

Do any of you have experience with current 20 gauge loads?  Am I really going to see a good reduction in recoil?  The gun is light and short and I think it would be a good woods gun.  My standard is 40 yards, so I don't need to worry about 60 yard shots.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Online Twowithone

• Longbeard
Re: Little help with a gun dilemma?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 07:49:05 PM »
Thats right up Mountainburds alley he,s using a 20 now he,ll be able to help you out for sure.    :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »
Hayudog shoots 20 ga TSS handloads. TSS knocks gobblers down hard.
I liked his so much, and have been seeing all these guys killing gobblers with 20's and even .410's. I bought a H&R single shot 20 in 3". I'm in the process of building it into a turkey slayer. I had the barrel cut down to 22", reamed and tapped to take an Indian Creek choke. Next step is to drill and tap the receiving end of the barrel to mount my rail that will hold a Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR green dot. Then I'll be putting on an AR style stock I got for it, and getting the whole thing Cerakoted. I'll be shooting Apex 7.5/9 blends initially, but Hayudog is going to teach me to roll my own.
With the performance of TSS loads, there is no need to tote a land cannon like my 870 Super Mag, or your Ultimag around any more. I can't wait to walk up the mountains of Idaho with Hayudog again, because next time I'll be toting my lightweight 20 ga. pop gun!!! ;D

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
No question that the 20's are plenty of gun.  It's not even hard to get 50 yard guns out of them now.  If you hand load at all it's an easy step. I star crimped my first tss loads. Most guys are roll crimping now.  Probably the best place to follow for hand loading and supplies is "Gobbler Nation" forum. Couple guys on there sell TSS. (- (Hal )and others)When you buy from them , they'll give you recipes that have been pressure tested and safe.
Or, now over the counter TSS is actually reasonable and availabile.
For the .410 I'm shooting this year I just ordered 3 boxes of shells. Cost about $90. I've shot two shells, both for sighting in.  (Shot cheap lead to get it zero')
(130 #9 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards!). 13 shells to go, lol.  Could be years of hunting at this rate!!!!
Good luck.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 06:47:34 PM »
You’ll never look back Bruh. That’s all I can say.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Online Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 07:27:29 PM »
Very tempting for sure.   :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 10:24:42 PM »
I have yet to jump on the 20 gauge bandwagon but 2 things that stick out:

A thumb hole stock is great for felt recoil reduction.  I never tried one on a mossberg however I have seen others mention how cumbersome it is to use the gun.

So...a 1300...I imagine you could find a thumb hole style stock and still easily get your safety off, etc.  Plus I doubt you will find a smoother/quite action than a 1300 out there for a pump. 

Now the camo---if you are into camo like Sitka. You can easily make a cool comp using the sponge method.  I imagine there are examples on the internet somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less