OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Coughing sound and turkey hunting

Started by Southerngobbler, April 19, 2019, 05:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

Does anyone think a turkey could overlook a coughing sound. I have developed a cold and have just two days left in my season. I will be using tons of cough drops and trying my best to cough into  a rolled up jacket or something but there's no way around the fact that i'll cough every now and then. One time I deer hunted under similar conditions and some deer didn't seem all that alarmed. What do ya'll think about turkey. I hate to just waist time. Honestly it seems like it won't work.

Greg Massey

I don't think a turkey has ever had a cold , and knows what coughing is , just go hunting if your able .... :TooFunny:      If i need to fart , i'm not going to wait until i get back to the truck ...  :OGturkeyhead:

Tail Feathers

Two days left, go find out.  I think you may get away with some muffled coughing until he gets pretty close.  Go try!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

spaightlabs

I was on day 3 of what turned out to be pneumonia when I shot my bird Sunday and was coughing like a 4 pack a day nicotine fiend.  Come to think of it, I didn't see any turkeys all morning until mine flew across the river... :funnyturkey:

your mileage may vary.

Marc

I believe there are birds that will run frantically away if you blink to loud...  There are some birds that would likely come in with rap music playing though.

I am with the crowd on this one.  If you feel up to it, with two days left give it a go!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

shaman

Both my buddy and I came down with pneumonia about the same time one year.  Mine hit the night before the Opener.  That year, I managed to fill both tags despite having to bail mid-week and go home.  Both of us were coughing fools out there.

Coughing works about good as anything as a locator.  I had gobblers shock gobbling in response.  I've been on a gobbler, had a coughing fit, passed out, came to, picked up the shotgun and taken my shot all while a gobbler was in full strut.  This is a tactic I would not recommend, but it's doable.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

FLGobstopper

Quote from: shaman on April 20, 2019, 12:43:35 PM

Coughing works about good as anything as a locator.  I had gobblers shock gobbling in response.

Yep, had this happen a few years back with my son. I kept getting on him about coughing so loud and not covering his mouth with his hand and arm. I was a little agitated because we were actually kinda lost trying to chase one down we heard way back in the swamp. He coughed one time really loud and the gobbler let loose. Ended up killing him right in the old logging road we were trying to find.

Conceal it as best as you can, carry cough drops and water. Don't let it keep you out of the woods if you can help it though.

Southerngobbler

Well, I had one gobble twice at my coughing this morning-from the limb. Eventual he flew down and went the other way but that's pretty typical for around here.

MK M GOBL

Sir-diealot

Yelp right after you cough and maybe he'll think it is a hen farting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Plush

Well you could either hunt and find out or sit at home and definitely fail to kill a turkey.

That is how I see it.

shock_gobble

Quote from: shaman on April 20, 2019, 12:43:35 PM

Yep, had this happen a few years back with my son. I kept getting on him about coughing so loud and not covering his mouth with his hand and arm.

Glad you shared this. Thanks to asthma and reflux my wife and middle son always seem to be coughing, particularly in the allergen filled spring woods. I was worried I'd be fighting a losing battle taking them with but it sounds like it's a non issue.

tha bugman

I had one coming straight to my brother one morning and his throat started getting dry and I told him he was going to have to stop....turkey finally decided he had heard enough and went the other direction....lol