OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Been a tough season, but still better than the last two!!  (Read 1904 times)

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
Been a tough season, but still better than the last two!!
« on: April 19, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
This season and the last 2 seasons I've been hindered by an injury to my left shoulder that limits my movement, and makes what movement I can make pretty painful. I've had 2 arthroscopic surgeries, but I still need a shoulder replacement surgery. The pain and lack of mobility cost me a gobbler 2 seasons ago while hunting in Idaho with Hayudog. So this year I am cutting my season short, and have surgery scheduled for May 7th. My shoulder has gotten so bad that I'm going to need a reverse total shoulder replacement procedure. It's a pretty brutal surgery, but the surgeon is excellent. By next season I'm hoping me and my new bionic shoulder will kick some turkey butts!!! :fud: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:
This season has been tough. Henned up gobblers so far in SC and FLA. They gobble some on the roost, then fly down to hens and shut up. I was fortunate to find a solo bird and call him in on the 2nd day of the SC season. My only FLA hunt of the season (ending today) was a bust. I missed two hunts due to doc appointments for my upcoming surgery, and  2 others due to lousy weather. Then a brand new biologist had the stupid idea of planting all the fields and food plots in oats and other plants. The resulting mix is waist to chest deep, and obviously the turkeys ain't none too keen about being in it. They also have a predator problem, which she refuses to address, and between these two issues, the turkey harvest on the 3 hunts at the area are all down, which has been the trend for the last several years.  ::)
Then, for the 3rd year in a row, my invites to Bama, Georgia and Kansas didn't pan out. ::)
I'm fixing to head back up to SC for a week to finish my season. I'm hoping to find more cooperative gobblers, and more hens on the nest!! So wish me luck brothers!!
I'll be rooting for you guys, and watching from the sidelines while recouping from my shoulder amputation. ;) ;D I'll also be planning an extravaganza of a season for next year to celebrate my freedom from constant pain, and the abilities of my new bionic shoulder!! :icon_thumright:
I know most of y'all are just starting out, so best of luck to all of y'all (an inside joke between me, my country wife and Hayudog ;D). Tear 'em up guys, and best of luck!! Hopefully I'll have some success on my last trip as well. :icon_thumright: :fud: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

Offline Thebody

Re: Been a tough season, but still better than the last two!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »
Good luck brother, get fixed up and get back at it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 04:03:06 PM »
Yes Rut good luck on your shoulder surgery. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 04:08:49 PM »
Wow. Best of luck to you with the surgery and recovery.