OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone ever hunt with a pistol?

Started by deerpoo22, April 16, 2019, 09:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerpoo22

Could be 410 pistol for spring or single projectile for fall Turkey. This fall I'd love to give my 44 a try and I'm thinking with hardcast it shouldn't have much meat damage. Curious how others feel about it

guesswho

I'm not a big fan of pistols for turkey hunting.   The target is to small and moves to much to produce a high percentage kill shot.   I know there are people skilled enough to consistently make kill shots, but they are a very small minority.   Just my opinion. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chadly

I watched a video on youtube of a guy i think "spring thunder" who used a .410 judge.  If i remember correctly it was less than a five yard shot.  He patterned the gun and found our how far he could kill a bird and it was close.

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on April 16, 2019, 09:33:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of pistols for turkey hunting.   The target is to small and moves to much to produce a high percentage kill shot.   I know there are people skilled enough to consistently make kill shots, but they are a very small minority.   Just my opinion.
Pretty much agree with this

chcltlabz

Here's a thought.  If you're doing it for the challenge, make it a real challenge and shoot for the head.  At least then its a clean kill with no meat damage or a clean miss.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

RutnNStrutn

Due to the short barrels, you're going to lose velocity due to less powder burn time, therefore reducing effective range. That's probably why most people don't do it.

deerpoo22

Thanks for the input. Sure do appreciate it

Kytomgetter

There was a guy on YouTube killed one with a T/C Contender in .410 kind of cool if that's your thing. I'd try it.