OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best call recipe for beginner callers  (Read 3153 times)

Offline limbhanger777

Best call recipe for beginner callers
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »
I just started making some call and I wanted to make some call for some youth hunters I know.  What's your guys favorite call recipes for someone new to calling? (Stretch, latex thickness, number of reeds and back tension)

Thanks in advance!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Best call recipe for beginner callers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
My suggestion would be to stick with two-reed calls of thinner material such as "proph" .0025 and .003. and stretch the material about 1/4" (sorry,...don't know what the would be with a tension meter).  A little back-stretch is okay, but not necessary. Stick with either a youth frame or a small adult frame.  A good "beginner" cut is a center V-cut,...and that cut can be modified to a combo, batwing, or ghost easily so that the user can have options to find out what works best for them.

If you want a specific construction for a call: (youth frame for little guys and small adult for older kiddos) both reeds proph/.0025 with approx. 1/16" stagger (top reed longer), approx. 1/4" stretch, slight back-stretch if desired, center V-cut to start (depth of first cuts approx. 1/8",...deepen if needed) 

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »
Thank you!

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 03:14:34 PM »
Anyone else? I am trying to make some calls for some youth hunters who are just learning to run a mouth call

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 11:29:41 PM »
Two reed with about 1/16 of set back on the bottom reed.  I'd stick with a thin material and no back tension.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.