OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Field birds or Timber birds

Started by djrcm7, April 13, 2019, 12:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djrcm7

I've been scouting several places and found 2 toms with 6 hens and maybe a Jake or two in a bean field. They seem to be in the same spot every day by 10.
I've also heard/seen several birds in a large mostly timber farm. Saw one on a two track that was strutting and gobbling for 20 mins alone.
I'm torn on where to start opening day.
Option 1: get in the field early with a large decoy spread and go after the flock birds
Option 2: roost a bird in the timber and get in tight early. Hoping he's alone.

Thoughts?
Med student from MO

Spitten and drummen

Either is a solid plan. I prefer hunting in timber myself.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

HookedonHooks

If both public, I would probably go to the field birds first. Chances are others have seen them out there too. Sounds like the timber bird might die a little easier if he truly was alone though. If you're more worried about killing, than I'd maybe chase the timber bird first. If you like watching turkey activity, field hunts provide just that.

Like Jody said, either is a solid plan though.

BKnisley

djrcm7,

Just my  :z-twocents: but it sounds like you have two good strategies! Sounds like if you intercept them moving into the field you could have a play. But with that being said if I could get onto them on the roost before big fellas henned up I think you may have better odds if you're within his roost tree.

Opening day for me would be the field set up, but the field I'm in will intersect their roost/strutting area. I roll the dice knowing the roost is near to me in that situation. I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas depending on what's worked for everyone. Bottom line would be you doing what you feel you have the most confidence in. You could always see if you could get a hen fired up later in the day and seeing if she'll drag a tom in.

Don't be afraid to change it up if you strike him on the tree and he heads away...see if you can cut him off before he hits the field. Good luck!!!

Brandon K

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

mossyoakpro

Field birds are the spawn of Satan himself....give me a timber bird any day.

Good luck with your plans!!
Phillippians 4:13

Ctrize

Lol yes avoid Satan and go to the woods.

davisd9

Fields for a challenge (without a male decoy) and woods for some fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Cottonmouth

I'd stay in the woods myself. If you pack a lunch and have the patience to sit all day... go after the field birds.

zelmo1

Both is my first thought. You know where those birds will be at 10, so don't spook em and they are your backup  :funnyturkey:

budtripp

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 13, 2019, 05:26:30 PM
Both is my first thought. You know where those birds will be at 10, so don't spook em and they are your backup  :funnyturkey:
My thoughts exactly provided the properties aren't too far apart. If the timber doesn't want to work hurry over to the field before 10. Its always good to have a backup plan.

djrcm7

So if I hit up the field who votes Avian strutter with hens and who votes DSD Jake with hens?
Med student from MO

deerpoo22

Both work but heavily prefer the timber myself. Fields they can see what's making the sound a long ways off and with a hen decoy out he may hangup and wait for the hen to go to him. With a Jake decoy out I've seen and heard from family and friends many times of a 2 year old getting scared of the Jake and not committing. I hunt a bench maybe 50 yards across. Whether hes above or beneath me he cant see what's making the noise, and by the time hes able to make out the situation, hes already in range.

Fatbeard

I am a deep timber man myself. Hunt field birds occasionally. Go with what your gut tells you
East TN Beard Buster

spaightlabs

I'm gonna start on the river bottom tomorrow morning, if no luck there, I'll move up out of the bottom and hit the field...