turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Mexico 2019

Started by JMalin, April 08, 2019, 03:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

We're a week out, gentleman.  I won't be hunting until after Easter.  For those of y'all able to scout early, what are y'all seeing? 

GobbleNut

I've only been out once,...last Wednesday.  It was a bit windy at first light and not much gobbling going on.  Drove probably fifty miles and only saw one group of birds, which really surprised me,...usually see a lot of birds along the roads this time of year.  Ryan seems to think the numbers are down a bit this year, but says there are still plenty of gobblers.  I expect we will be just fine....  :icon_thumright:

Dtrkyman

I saw quite a few back in late Feb. early march while Javelina hunting, too bad I wont make it out there to hunt.

turkeykiller41

What area  are you hunting I got some buddies out there hunting also.

JMalin

Good luck to everyone hunting the opener.

Gooserbat

I'm heading back to NM in early May

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JMalin

Heading out this afternoon.  Should be there in time to do some armed scouting this evening for a couple of hours before the sun sets.

JMalin

Two distant gobbles so far.  Attempted to close the distance and never heard him again.  Got a feeling it isn't going to be easy.  Hopefully I can roost a couple this evening.

JMalin

Got one roosted that I'm not sure I even want to go after.  It would involve dropping down into the second canyon from where I'm able to access by vehicle.  So if I did kill him, I'd have to hike out with him up two different ridges before getting back to my pickup.

JMalin

Several birds in the area, so I'm going to continue to hunt this area.  Been quiet the last hour or so.  Good ground gobbling first hour of light, better even than roost gobbling.  Going to stay on this ridge top the remainder of the day.  Packed water and snacks and just need one to get fired up.  I'm hopeful in the next hour or two, one will get lonely and start gobbling again.  Wasn't ever really in the game this morning up to this point.  Couple birds hit the call, but none consistently and never was in one's bubble.

Vaturkeyhntr

Flying out Sunday morning to hunt New Mexico for the first time.  Looking forward to chasing some of these mountain birds

JMalin

Got within 150 yards of a bird that was gobbling good on his own.  The second I set up and called to him, he went quiet.  Makes me think he has been hunted before.  Stayed with him for an hour or so and while he didn't go far, he only gobbled a couple more times.  Wondering if I should leave the birds in this area to go find others.  I know where more are, but I'm not sure they'll be any more cooperative.  They weren't the last three years...

GobbleNut

Good to hear your reports, JM.  Keep after them,...you'll find a cooperative gobbler or two.  Birds have been on fire since the start of the season.  It's just a matter of time for you.

JMalin

Logged 12 miles today.  Back at it in the morning.  Much more sign where I'll be hunting tomorrow and have one roosted.  It's gunna be a bit of a hike to get to him.

GobbleNut

Woah! It's after midnight and you are posting about your hunt?  Man, are you getting any sleep?   :o ;D