OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Camo Question  (Read 15519 times)

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Camo Question
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2019, 07:07:59 PM »
You don’t need to write scientific papers or spend time staring thru a microscope to know if any of this is a scam or not. It’s called spending time in the woods lol. I’ve spent most of my life in the outdoors. I don’t need a infomercial to tell me I need such and such item to get close to game. I’ve been doing it my entire life. I’ve killed hundreds of deer with a longbow or recurve at 20 yards or less I’ve had deer close enough to touch multiple times. This turkey season I had two Gobblers come in at 5 feet in full strut for couple minutes until I could get a shot. If I was gullible and had bought one of these items I’d have probably also contributed my success to the scam. If you spend enough time in the woods and learn woodsmanship you will have plenty of close encounters with game animals.
As far as the UV scam if you’ve ever hunted without using the special detergent and have not had problems killing what more proof do you need. Do you really believe more animals would have been killed if you’d used the right washing detergent lol.
Gobblenut has been around A LONG time I’d be interested in hearing what learned opinions he had in the 1970’s when NASA scientists were  writing papers about the global cooling trend that had been building since the 1940’s, or how much time he spent pontificating on Y2K lol.
As far as a HECs suit stop and think about it. Game cameras put off a higher electrical magnetic field than a human does yet deer and turkeys parade around in front of them all the time?? Why is that , does everyone have a tiny HECS suit for there cameras lol.
 The whole thing boils down to hunting abilities there not for sale you can’t borrow them you have to learn them. The fact that a lot of companies are getting rich promiseing gullible people they could be a hunter if they bought such and such item is sad. Get off the couch or lab table and go learn to hunt

Did not mean to "ruffle your feathers."  My advice to you, if you are successful, keep doing what you are doing to be successful. 

I simply pointed out that science points to the fact that birds can see wavelengths in the UV spectrum, and that color-brightening detergents tend to increase the amount of UV reflectance off our clothing, and "I choose" to use detergents which do not have color-brightening properties... 

Take that information and do what you want with it...  Utilize it, ignore it, or investigate it...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2019, 09:16:18 PM »
You don’t need to write scientific papers or spend time staring thru a microscope to know if any of this is a scam or not. It’s called spending time in the woods lol. I’ve spent most of my life in the outdoors. I don’t need a infomercial to tell me I need such and such item to get close to game. I’ve been doing it my entire life. I’ve killed hundreds of deer with a longbow or recurve at 20 yards or less I’ve had deer close enough to touch multiple times. This turkey season I had two Gobblers come in at 5 feet in full strut for couple minutes until I could get a shot. If I was gullible and had bought one of these items I’d have probably also contributed my success to the scam. If you spend enough time in the woods and learn woodsmanship you will have plenty of close encounters with game animals.
As far as the UV scam if you’ve ever hunted without using the special detergent and have not had problems killing what more proof do you need. Do you really believe more animals would have been killed if you’d used the right washing detergent lol.
Gobblenut has been around A LONG time I’d be interested in hearing what learned opinions he had in the 1970’s when NASA scientists were  writing papers about the global cooling trend that had been building since the 1940’s, or how much time he spent pontificating on Y2K lol.
As far as a HECs suit stop and think about it. Game cameras put off a higher electrical magnetic field than a human does yet deer and turkeys parade around in front of them all the time?? Why is that , does everyone have a tiny HECS suit for there cameras lol.
 The whole thing boils down to hunting abilities there not for sale you can’t borrow them you have to learn them. The fact that a lot of companies are getting rich promiseing gullible people they could be a hunter if they bought such and such item is sad. Get off the couch or lab table and go learn to hunt

Did not mean to "ruffle your feathers."  My advice to you, if you are successful, keep doing what you are doing to be successful. 

I simply pointed out that science points to the fact that birds can see wavelengths in the UV spectrum, and that color-brightening detergents tend to increase the amount of UV reflectance off our clothing, and "I choose" to use detergents which do not have color-brightening properties... 

Take that information and do what you want with it...  Utilize it, ignore it, or investigate it...
I don’t have feathers to ruffle. You and Gobblenut seem to be the ones ruffled I think it’s funny and a little sad you think a detergent is going to help you hunt. What I think some of you are getting confused about is that a scientist may have found that a bird sees the UV spectrum NO ONE has ever proved it alerts them. It’s not a scientist that is selling you special detergent lol. Same with the other scams carbon does absorb odors but it cannot contain scent in clothing. Lots of things might have an electromagnet field but you don’t need a suit to hide from an animal. I wonder how many of you gullible people buy into everything at once you’d spend all your time trying to wash your Hecs suit or activate it or whatever. None of it really matters because clearly we will all be burned up in this global warming apocalypse lol. PT Barnum would be proud
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2019, 10:01:07 PM »

I don’t have feathers to ruffle. You and Gobblenut seem to be the ones ruffled I think it’s funny and a little sad you think a detergent is going to help you hunt. What I think some of you are getting confused about is that a scientist may have found that a bird sees the UV spectrum NO ONE has ever proved it alerts them. It’s not a scientist that is selling you special detergent lol. Same with the other scams carbon does absorb odors but it cannot contain scent in clothing. Lots of things might have an electromagnet field but you don’t need a suit to hide from an animal. I wonder how many of you gullible people buy into everything at once you’d spend all your time trying to wash your Hecs suit or activate it or whatever. None of it really matters because clearly we will all be burned up in this global warming apocalypse lol. PT Barnum would be proud

I don't know anything about "electromagnetic fields," or how it affects (or does not) wild life...  I do not recall mentioning global warming either???

I have killed birds wearing a white tee-shirt...  I'd rather wear something that blends in a bit better and allows me a little room for error on subtle movements...  And, as I hunt far more waterfowl (in high-pressure areas), I am far more concerned about concealment when hunting waterfowl, as I feel they are far more sensitive to approaching that which is not "natural."  But, knowing that turkeys have very good vision, and I do not hunt from a blind, I make some attempt towards concealment when hunting them as well.

Good luck to you, and I sincerely wish you continued success on and off the field....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
Just like turkey hunting, reading comprehension, diplomacy and the ability to have a civil conversation are apparently concepts that some folks just have a hard time grasping....
 :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
Oh well,...we just carry on and try to ignore it........but damn, it's hard sometimes.... ;D

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »
 :emoticon-cartoon-012:
Quote from: LaLongbeard link=topic=90032.msg888882#msg888882 date=
[/quote

I don't know anything about "electromagnetic fields," or how it affects (or does not) wild life...  I do not recall mentioning global warming either???

Yea never said you did unfortunately everything is not about you lol. It was a blanket statement for those that really believe in global warming, or Hecs suits or UV brightners . For you not to understand that statement you’d have to have read only your comments and parts of mine and none of the others .....weird?
It’s really just a difference of opinion. I don’t use special soap I have no problem killing animals, you did a book report on photoreceptors in fish and now believe birds are scared of UV brightners. If you’d have started a thread about the soap I doubt I would have read it, but you commented on a thread about camo saying UV soap was more important than the pattern. I say this is a scam much like several others aimed at hunters. Then as always you have a couple of half baked opinions offered by people with zero facts to back it up. Hope this clears up the confusion.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:29:01 AM by LaLongbeard »
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
Personally i have never worried about Uv brighteners. Bought some scent lock or whatever it's called way back in the day and figured out that deer could still smell me so that ended that. In my opinion there is no substitute for just good old fashioned hunting skills but that's just my opinion. Now if someone could invent some deer repellant turkey hunting clothing so that when a group of 4 bucks catches your wind they just walk away and don't come even closer doing the whole snort, headbob, and stomp, then run through the flock of turkeys that was slowly working their way towards me then I would be first in line. Not like I have just recently had that happen or anything. Also old man on a 4 wheeler repellant. He came through about 45 minutes after the deer. Just when the turkeys where calming back down.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:18:44 PM by Happy »

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2019, 11:08:22 AM »
A few years ago, I started carrying a 6' length of plastic cut-out camo screening/netting to which I attached a small bamboo pole to each end as well as to the center. I place this in front of me which blocks the turkey from seeing anything that goes on behind it, whether it's hand movement with friction calls, changing calls, rummaging through my fanny pack, etc. Just a week ago it was necessary for me to switch from shooting from my right shoulder to my left in order to take a 22# gobbler, a movement that might not have been possible had the screen not been there. The screen is easily made, very light weight, easily carried under the arm, and the turkeys never seem to notice it. I don't leave home without it!

Online rgref522

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 12:49:55 PM »
don't get caught up on camo, it's more about movement and just being in a well hidden place. This goes for any game really.  drab earth tone colors in solid, plaid, etc will get the job done and you will save money to spend on more tags and boolets

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2021, 05:52:55 PM »
Cheap camo works just as well as those 400 dollar outfits. I go for comfort.Not all my stuff matches.

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2021, 09:36:44 PM »
All I know is you can kill (insert target animal here) on a 6+ day backpack hunt w no shower, smelling like a Marlboro, wearing any earth tone costume that may or may not have been washed in the past year if you have confidence that comes from experience with a dash of patience and the ability of sitting still.

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2021, 11:49:25 AM »
All I know is you can kill (insert target animal here) on a 6+ day backpack hunt w no shower, smelling like a Marlboro, wearing any earth tone costume that may or may not have been washed in the past year if you have confidence that comes from experience with a dash of patience and the ability of sitting still.
I agree.Movement, and picking the right spot to set up are key.

Offline captfire

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2021, 01:12:49 PM »
 AS LONG AS YOUR USEING ANY THING THATS MOSSY OAK WILL DO THATS ALL I USE AND KILL TURKEYS EVERY YEAR …..

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2021, 10:42:07 PM »
I know this post is old and after reading through it I thought I might have something to add. A few years back my brother and I bought some white coveralls to bow hunt deer in the snow. We hunted a management area where stands could not be left overnight. We hunted from the ground. As he was walking down the road from me to get to his spot on an overcast maybe even snowing condition I could see a blue hue emitting from him. He was a good couple hundred yards from me and the lighting conditions where very dim. Needless to say I kept getting busted by incoming deer. The suit only lasted about 3 days before I stopped using it.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »
Haven't read all the replies but my thoughts on camo are thus. The only thing I'm concerned about is contrast, not pattern. If I'm in realtree, bottomland, or whatever darker camo and the only tree I can set up on is a beech I could be in trouble. Contrast and no movement is where it's at...with great emphasis on the movement. For what it's worth I still generally wear the old WWII Woodland. Have yet to find a turkey that objects!!

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2022, 09:43:30 PM »
I've been reading and there have been several mentions of switching up camo late season.

Currently I run full MO Bottomland.  Should I be concerned if I'm just going to be up against a tree or some blowdown?  I've always focused on movement vs camo pattern.

I hunt in N. AL thick woods with several trees to sit.  My season is 30 MAR-30 APR.

Is it more of having something else in your tool box for when its needed?

Your great grandfather killed turkeys in his daily work cloths.  Probably a plaid shirt and dungarees.  Maybe a work jacket.  He killed deer, turkeys, squirrels what ever.  He had to kill to eat. 
Camo helps but being still and in the right place well hidden matters more.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.