OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Camo Question  (Read 15518 times)

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Camo Question
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 10:12:58 PM »
I’ve never worried about UV brightness of my clothing. I don’t wash my hunting clothes a lot when I do I use Tide, never had a deer or turkey react.

I do not know if deer have the photoreceptors to see the UV spectrum, but turkeys do, as do waterfowl.

I do not know if birds have reacted to it or not, but I know that there have been plenty of times both hunting waterfowl and turkeys when birds were coming in, I was still, and they saw something they did not like.

Admittedly, I think it is more important for waterfowl, as due to pure hunting pressure they are more wary about coming into something that "does not look right."
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »
I’ve never worried about UV brightness of my clothing. I don’t wash my hunting clothes a lot when I do I use Tide, never had a deer or turkey react.

I do not know if deer have the photoreceptors to see the UV spectrum, but turkeys do, as do waterfowl.

Deer hunters were the original target for the UV scam lol. I never heard of ducks or turkeys being bothered by the UV brightners until recently. I can assure you I have never hunted in a blind, and use regular washing detergent and the times I have been busted had nothing to do with what laundry detergent I use.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 12:42:35 AM »

Deer hunters were the original target for the UV scam lol. I never heard of ducks or turkeys being bothered by the UV brightners until recently. I can assure you I have never hunted in a blind, and use regular washing detergent and the times I have been busted had nothing to do with what laundry detergent I use.
I actually did research on photoreceptors in college.  Got to use technology that actually was able to view individual photoreceptors on fish...  The Paper was published in a scientific journal..

I know that birds have (including turkeys and ducks) have photoreceptors capable of detecting wavelengths of light in the UV spectrum.  Looking through devices capable of seeing UV, there is no doubt that color brightening detergents are far more visible viewing through them...

I would not call this a scam...  Might not be as important as portrayed, but the science is there to support the claim.

Personally, I do not get all that much time in the field, and I can watch the sunrise from my house.  When I go in the field, I make all reasonable efforts to improve my chances of success.  Buying a separate box of detergent to wash my hunting clothes is a very small (and relatively inexpensive) effort...  Maybe it helps, maybe it does not.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »
If it makes you feel better to use the separate detergent fine. But every detergent sold has UV brightners unless you buy one specifically without it. How many people do you think use the regular detergent vs UV wash? There were scientific studies in the 70’s that claimed we were in a global cooling trend and if something wasn’t done we were headed for an Ice age lol. Science papers are good for inside classrooms. Ozone machines,scentloc suits, Hec suits, and the UV effects are a scam plain and simple. You rarely hear about it anymore but it was huge in the 80s-90s why is that ?

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 05:01:02 PM »
More often than not I'll be in my WWII military camo, or some combination of it. Let's face it...the government only spent how many millions of our tax dollars to come up with it as the best all-around LOL.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 05:15:29 PM »
If it makes you feel better to use the separate detergent fine. But every detergent sold has UV brightners unless you buy one specifically without it. How many people do you think use the regular detergent vs UV wash? There were scientific studies in the 70’s that claimed we were in a global cooling trend and if something wasn’t done we were headed for an Ice age lol. Science papers are good for inside classrooms. Ozone machines,scentloc suits, Hec suits, and the UV effects are a scam plain and simple. You rarely hear about it anymore but it was huge in the 80s-90s why is that ?
Not convinced the HEC suit is a scam or not a scam, the printable behind it is very well known, it is just a Faraday cage or Faraday shield for the body. I would like to see some independent study on one of the suits with scientific equipment.

It is like those that say Scent Lok suits don't work because they were sued and lost, they did not lose because it does not work, they lost because they said that all you had to do is throw it in the dryer and it would work and that was wrong. Now if you wash it in a carbon wash and then dry it it does work which has been proven.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 06:08:44 PM »
Not convinced the HEC suit is a scam or not a scam, the printable behind it is very well known, it is just a Faraday cage or Faraday shield for the body. I would like to see some independent study on one of the suits with scientific equipment.

It is like those that say Scent Lok suits don't work because they were sued and lost, they did not lose because it does not work, they lost because they said that all you had to do is throw it in the dryer and it would work and that was wrong. Now if you wash it in a carbon wash and then dry it it does work which has been proven.
Scentloc got sued cause it doesn’t work. It’s never been proven to work. A Bloodhound doesn’t come close to a Whitetails nose and Scentloc and the scent killer spray both failed the bloodhound test. I think Hecs Suits absolutely work.....no question the reason some people don’t kill anything is because the animal could sense there electrical field? It’s so redicoulous it’s not even funny.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »

Scentloc got sued cause it doesn’t work. It’s never been proven to work. A Bloodhound doesn’t come close to a Whitetails nose and Scentloc and the scent killer spray both failed the bloodhound test. I think Hecs Suits absolutely work.....no question the reason some people don’t kill anything is because the animal could sense there electrical field? It’s so redicoulous it’s not even funny.

Of course you can kill an animal without a HEC's suit, never said you could not. I again would like to see some scientific evidence either way, I like science and seeing things being challenged to come up with an outcome either way. All I am saying is if a faraday cage can block one type of electrical field and the human body is full of electrical field why could it not work? I am neither for or against it, I am for "Let's test it" Some people think just because something is new it is no good, I am not one of them. I will not go spend money on one though, not until I see some kind of scientific study results and even then I may not, kinda getting to the point it is not hunting anymore.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 07:59:16 PM »

Of course you can kill an animal without a HEC's suit, never said you could not. I again would like to see some scientific evidence either way, I like science and seeing things being challenged to come up with an outcome either way. All I am saying is if a faraday cage can block one type of electrical field and the human body is full of electrical field why could it not work? I am neither for or against it, I am for "Let's test it" Some people think just because something is new it is no good, I am not one of them. I will not go spend money on one though, not until I see some kind of scientific study results and even then I may not, kinda getting to the point it is not hunting anymore.

When I am wrong I will say I am wrong, it looks like I must have misread something or did not understand it right but either way I am wrong about the ScentLok. https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/the-great-debate-does-carbon-clothing-work/272963

John Koenig:

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »
I actually did research on photoreceptors in college.  Got to use technology that actually was able to view individual photoreceptors on fish...  The Paper was published in a scientific journal..
I know that birds have (including turkeys and ducks) have photoreceptors capable of detecting wavelengths of light in the UV spectrum.  Looking through devices capable of seeing UV, there is no doubt that color brightening detergents are far more visible viewing through them...
I would not call this a scam...  Might not be as important as portrayed, but the science is there to support the claim.

Good to actually hear from someone who has directly done scientific research on this.  Most of us just "shoot from the hip" when discussing topics such as those presented in this thread.  I don't use special detergents myself, but at least now I know that there is at least the possibility that it might make a difference in certain situations.

As for the HECS discussion, again, I don't know if it works or not.  It seems far-fetched to believe, but then again, if I poo-pooed every concept that my pea-brain told me was impossible, I would still be living in a cave trying to sort out the use of the wheel.

When all is said and done, I just base the use of some of these products on whether they constitute "fair chase" or not.  The idea that I could put on clothing that would allow me to approach a turkey (or any other game species) without the proper stealth needed to actually consider myself to be "hunting", rather than just taking advantage of technology, does not qualify as fair chase to me. 

Now, if somebody else wants to use any of the current products that are technology-based to enhance their chances of success,...and those products are legal,...then go for it.  Personally, I just don't want to tilt the odds in my favor enough such that I begin to wonder if I am "hunting" or just "killing".

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
You don’t need to write scientific papers or spend time staring thru a microscope to know if any of this is a scam or not. It’s called spending time in the woods lol. I’ve spent most of my life in the outdoors. I don’t need a infomercial to tell me I need such and such item to get close to game. I’ve been doing it my entire life. I’ve killed hundreds of deer with a longbow or recurve at 20 yards or less I’ve had deer close enough to touch multiple times. This turkey season I had two Gobblers come in at 5 feet in full strut for couple minutes until I could get a shot. If I was gullible and had bought one of these items I’d have probably also contributed my success to the scam. If you spend enough time in the woods and learn woodsmanship you will have plenty of close encounters with game animals.
As far as the UV scam if you’ve ever hunted without using the special detergent and have not had problems killing what more proof do you need. Do you really believe more animals would have been killed if you’d used the right washing detergent lol.
Gobblenut has been around A LONG time I’d be interested in hearing what learned opinions he had in the 1970’s when NASA scientists were  writing papers about the global cooling trend that had been building since the 1940’s, or how much time he spent pontificating on Y2K lol.
As far as a HECs suit stop and think about it. Game cameras put off a higher electrical magnetic field than a human does yet deer and turkeys parade around in front of them all the time?? Why is that , does everyone have a tiny HECS suit for there cameras lol.
 The whole thing boils down to hunting abilities there not for sale you can’t borrow them you have to learn them. The fact that a lot of companies are getting rich promiseing gullible people they could be a hunter if they bought such and such item is sad. Get off the couch or lab table and go learn to hunt

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »
Personally, I can leap tall buildings in a single bound,...but don't ask me to prove it with an actual demonstration.   ;D
..In the meantime, I am going to rely on those with a lot more expertise than me to inform me about other subjects,...and when about 99% of those folks tell me that something is fact, I am inclined to listen to them...   :toothy12: :toothy9: 

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
Birds can see colors much better and differently than other animal species. That's widely believed by the scientific community largely because birds are often brilliantly colored them self. If they couldn't see colors so well -say like a deer for instance, they would be better of being a more natural color than brilliantly colored like they are.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
Personally, I can leap tall buildings in a single bound,...but don't ask me to prove it with an actual demonstration.   ;D
..In the meantime, I am going to rely on those with a lot more expertise than me to inform me about other subjects,...and when about 99% of those folks tell me that something is fact, I am inclined to listen to them...   :toothy12: :toothy9:
So your still waiting on the other 98% of science to back up either the UV brightners claim or the Hecs suit claim? Scentloc has pretty much died on the vine lol.
PS some of the same scientists that claimed we were going to freeze in 1971 are now on the global warming wagon....go figure.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »
So your still waiting on the other 98% of science to back up either the UV brightners claim or the Hecs suit claim? Scentloc has pretty much died on the vine lol.
PS some of the same scientists that claimed we were going to freeze in 1971 are now on the global warming wagon....go figure.

Again, I don't know squat about UV brighteners or HECS suit claims,...doesn't matter to me, personally.  ...And I don't have a clue as to what percentage of scientists support the claims. 

On the other subject (which I don't like to discuss on these forums due to the obvious biases that people tend to steadfastly adhere to regardless of the facts involved), comparing the "global cooling" theory that a relatively minor number of "scientists" espoused to the overwhelming acceptance of human-caused global warming we are witnessing is akin to the old adage of "comparing apples to oranges",...although in this case it is more like comparing "grapes to watermelons". 

..And in anticipation of the backlash my comments above will surely bring, here is my other "old adage"...."There are none so blind as those that will not see"...   :angel9: