turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wow what a morning!!

Started by Drycreek, April 06, 2019, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drycreek

Get in the woods early and at first light, I have one sounding off. I move his way and get setup about 100 yards away. He gobbled his head off and finally flew down about 30 minutes after daylight. Now I thinking I don't have a chance because he flew down on the other side of the slew. Well a few minutes later later I see him pitch over to my side. Game on!! Well it turned out to be 4 hard gobbling jakes. Dang, but it was still a blast. So as I walk out I stop and call as I came up to my in laws front pasture.  I hear one sound off on the other side of the pond and between the pond and their house. So I ease up to where I can see and sure enough he is walking the edge of the pond headed the other way. I made a quick decision to ease back in the woods and beat him to the other end of the pond, get setup and within minutes he is walking straight to me. These dang birds drive me crazy. He is 60 yards away hangs a right into the woods and walks straight away from me gobbling the hole time. As I sit there thinking about the thread on hear "Be still and know that I am God". I can only smile as God truly blessed me this morning. But the story doesn't end there. All this before 8 am so it's still early, so I head to another property. I get to my spot and a few yelps later I hear that wonderful sound of a excited Tom gobbling. For the next hour I sent there and listen to him sound off every couple of minutes. He just wouldn't cross the little creek that was between us. I finally made the decision to circle back around and get on the same side of the creek. Get to the other side and setup as close as I was willing to risk. He gobbled a few more times as he headed off on the adjacent property. Did I say how much these dang bird drive me crazy!! Thanks for listening guys. What a blessed morning and I didn't even kill a bird. God is good!!

Clydetaylor1

Good story. It not always about the killing. Some of the best hunts don't end in a dead bird.

tomstopper

Quote from: Clydetaylor1 on April 06, 2019, 03:47:13 PM
Good story. It not always about the killing. Some of the best hunts don't end in a dead bird.
That is for sure. Killing one is a bonus in my book. Persistence will pay off brother. Stay after them

turkaholic

These are the moments you will replay in your head next winter, to keep you coming back.
live to hunt hunt to live

Clydetaylor1

I can always remember the ones that whipped me or the ones that took several hunts to get.

Drycreek

I can't wait to get back after them!

surehuntsalot

some of the best mornings I have ever spent in the turkey woods, I left and the birds stayed in the woods to fight another day.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Drycreek

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 10, 2019, 09:12:37 AM
some of the best mornings I have ever spent in the turkey woods, I left and the birds stayed in the woods to fight another day.

I agree the kill is just the icing on the cake!

dwcim

FANMAN

Awesome hunt!!! The best part??? You can get back after em tomorrow.

zelmo1

Hunting isn't all killin, the real hunters know this. Great morning bro

Tunaguy

I think I learn more on mornings like this than I do when I come home with a bird. Great story.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Gobblerslobber

I had a great morning in the turkey woods today and didn't kill one either. Lots of gobbling but the bird I'm after has a whole flock of hens and keeps switching trees on me. Had to go to work so I left him strutting on his favorite ridge top.

Muzzy61

Sounds like a great( all be it frustrating) hunt to me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Volgobbler

Sounds like a hunt I had Tuesday morning.  Had birds gobbling all around.  Had 2 different toms come in only to slip behind a tree and wander off gobbling.  Weird birds but yet addictive