turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2 or 3 man Turkey Hunting Competitions

Started by mahifishn, April 04, 2019, 04:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahifishn

I searched and couldn't find anything on the board about this... over the past couple days my Facebook has been getting spammed with a Turkey Hunting Competition ad hosted by an outfit in Kentucky i believe. So my curiosity got the best of me and i clicked on it. I then sent it to a buddy who informed me that he had heard of another similar contest held by a different outfit in Kansas. So i look into both of them and it actually looks pretty intriguing.

2 man teams or 3 man teams hunt for a cash purse over a 2 or 3 day hunt. Highest scoring 4 bird totals takes the purse. There is an entry fee obviously, but it's not much more than you would pay for a typical chance to hunt at a similar lodge i would think.

Has anyone on here competed in such a competition before and if so is it just a gimmick or is it really worth going to take a crack at it?

eggshell

I used to do a club hunt back in the 80s. The single highest scoring bird took the prize. It wasn't an outfitter, but a local sporting goods and NWTF chapter. They done it as a fund raiser. Weellllll.... I was asked to not enter anymore......I won't say why.

Happy

I would be leery of any competition that involved money. Heck it gets a little tricky in the old gobbler contest sometimes and there is nothing to win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mahifishn

It's a lot of money too. One purse was $50k and the other was $25k i believe.

Happy

50,000?  That changes everything. Here is my weight entry. 27lbs 11 oz.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

silvestris

Turkey hunting was not designed to be a money contest.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

SteelerFan

Quote from: silvestris on April 04, 2019, 06:31:23 PM
Turkey hunting was not designed to be a money contest.

I cringe at any contest involving the killing of game and or birds. I'm not 100% against, but I'm not a supporter, either. (probably just the old grumpy game warden coming out)

zelmo1

Everybody is a grown up here, please use your head. If there are people and money involved, please be aware of the dangers. Info is the new power , many ways into your personal life. Just my  :z-twocents: