OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Jakes, Jakes everywhere  (Read 5890 times)

Offline CoachK

Jakes, Jakes everywhere
« on: April 04, 2019, 02:30:41 PM »
I must've had a record hatch last year. I have Jakes everywhere. I encountered 5(group of 3 and a pair) yesterday within 1hr. on 80ac. Another spot just down the road that I hunt has at least 10 that I encountered within 30 minutes of each other.

I'm tired of calling in Jakes and I'm concerned they have shut down the gobbling and/or run the gobblers off.

How do you deal with an abundance of Jakes?

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Jakes, Jakes everywhere
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »
You thank the turkey God and wait a year.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:42:13 PM »

This.

Enjoy the jokers - a gang of jakes can provide a lot of entertainment.  I have had a few experiences where I've just sat and watched a bunch of jakes wrestle it out for an hour or longer.  They are hilarious.  Eventually the big birds will show themselves, but they are a lot more likely to have gone into stealth mode so as to avoid any more confrontations.

Offline fmf

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »
I've seen more jakes this year than the past 5 years combined.

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 09:08:03 PM »

Agreed. Also nothing wrong with killing one for the dinner plate  if you want to

Offline jims

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 09:28:05 PM »
It seems like the places I've hunted in the Midwest and in Colo have been slowly but surely getting fewer and fewer birds.  Thank your lucky stars you are seeing lots of jakes!  That's a great sign for the future!  Should be fun the next few years!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »

Agreed. Also nothing wrong with killing one for the dinner plate  if you want to
Take some kids hunting and let them take a couple. If not, then just start dreaming of next year.

Offline CoachK

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies

I am thankful to have them. I do plan on putting some young'uns on Jake patrol. It's just frustrating when you walk up on a field of 7-10 gobblers in the afternoon and you haven't heard a peep all day. I've assumed it's Jake's making them quiet but they may not be hot yet.

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies

I am thankful to have them. I do plan on putting some young'uns on Jake patrol. It's just frustrating when you walk up on a field of 7-10 gobblers in the afternoon and you haven't heard a peep all day. I've assumed it's Jake's making them quiet but they may not be hot yet.

So you walk up on a field of 7-10mature Toms in the afternoon? I’d say hang in there! Ones bound to show up.sounds like they haven’t broken up yet,but at least you know there are Toms around. And yes Turkey hunting sure can be frustrating! That what makes it so challenging and a grand game.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 01:04:02 PM »

Love it!!

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies

Lol, you won't get much pity.... that's a "problem" I'd love to have!!! Slip in there and sit tight.

So you walk up on a field of 7-10mature Toms in the afternoon? I’d say hang in there! Ones bound to show up.sounds like they haven’t broken up yet,but at least you know there are Toms around. And yes Turkey hunting sure can be frustrating! That what makes it so challenging and a grand game.

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 03:46:22 PM »
^^^^^^This right here!^^^^^^
All day, everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline G squared 23

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 10:11:55 PM »

How do you deal with an abundance of Jakes?

With 1.75 ounces of lead. 

Offline ALfwlmth

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 05:06:58 PM »
Had a group of 9 on my place a few yrs ago and they had everyone in check.  Let me 4yr old son shooter one and their hierarchy eneded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »
7 to 10 gobblers in a field and some jakes!! Any openings in your place!