Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Will adding weight to the butt stock cause high shots.

Started by WNCTracker, April 02, 2019, 07:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I shot my kids 20 ga and it was dead on. I put some steel shot in the buttstock for recoil reduction and now it's shooting 12" high at 20 yds!  I was just testing some weights and with the butt stock full it adds 1 lb 12 oz. I tried it just for curiosity with the resulting high shots the gun is definitely rear heavy. So I'm wondering how much do people typically add?  8 oz? 10 oz?  Also do you add weight to the front somehow as well?  Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

I added about 6 ounces of lead shot to the rear of the buttstock on my 835, to calm down the recoil and did not notice any POA/POI problem.  It did help balance the gun though.  The gun was nose heavy but with the added weight, it moved the CG to the rear.  Did you just pour the shot in?  I used a sock taped with duct tape, filled the hollow portion of the stock with Styrofoam trimmed to fit and added the duct taped sock at the very back and reinstalled the recoil pad.

WNCTracker

Quote from: bbcoach on April 02, 2019, 07:48:38 PM
I added about 6 ounces of lead shot to the rear of the buttstock on my 835, to calm down the recoil and did not notice any POA/POI problem.  It did help balance the gun though.  The gun was nose heavy but with the added weight, it moved the CG to the rear.  Did you just pour the shot in?  I used a sock taped with duct tape, filled the hollow portion of the stock with Styrofoam trimmed to fit and added the duct taped sock at the very back and reinstalled the recoil pad.
I used a kids sock tied shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk