turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rain gear

Started by obro, April 01, 2019, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obro

I am looking for suggestions on good rain gear . I have bought several sets of the lower to medium grade stuff and it doesn't hold up or keep you dry . What have you guys had luck with ?

Happy

I have some stuff from banded. It's not totally waterproof but it's pretty close. I can't stand noisy clothes so it was the best i could come up with for a reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

I'm with you....I don't want to spend a fortune and i don't like noisey. I have a buddy that sent hundreds on rain gear and he still gets wet after a while. I have been using frog toggs for a few years and can live with them and stay reasonably dry. I have a set of Helly Hansen commercial fishing gear that absolutely keeps me dry, but they don't come in camo. They are a dark green. when it's really raining I wear them anyway and I have killed several birds wearing them. Kind of makes you think about all the money we spend on camo. I think the key is to blend in and not move, camo is secondary. when I wear the HH I sit by dead logs or downfalls if they are available or just dig in the brush a little more. I bought  them for fishing. Here is a link for the coats, and the pants ( I wear the bibs)  are about the same price, so you end up with around $130.00 in them. I have had mine for 15 years, they are tough.

Fullfan

Good rain gear is not cheep.  I have a set of the Sitka downpour and it does keep me dry.  Kuiu has several sets of lite weight sets.
Don't gobble at me...

Twowithone

I have some raingear from Cabelas its old but still works. Dont know if Cabelas even makes it anymore think they went the way of Redhead or some other brand. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

turkeymanjim

I have a set of cabelas dry plus that i have for more years then i can remember.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dublelung

It's hard to beat regular ol Frogg Toggs.

Gobble!

Been using a cabelas suit for years and its been well worth the cost. Looks like they call it "Space Rain". They sell the top and pants separate.

Sixes

Cabelas packable top and bottoms for the last several years and they work well

singlestrand

Arent the frogg toggs noisy?

Big Jeremy

I have a Camo poncho that I bought at Academy for $10 that is all I carry for turkey hunting anymore. It fits easily in my vest, and it's plenty big enough to slip it on over my vest and everything if it starts raining. I've only had to use it a few times, but it has worked flawlessly. Game winner brand...

uk.turkey.hunter

So I have some Frogg Toggs and yes they are a little noisy when walking. But my questions is, mine smell a little molded. How can I clean them or get the mold smell out of them?

eggshell

Just hand wash the frog toggs with a a little dawn dish soap in warm water and hang out to  dry with plenty of ventilation, they'll be fine. Have done mine several times.

dublelung

Quote from: uk.turkey.hunter on April 01, 2019, 04:24:12 PM
So I have some Frogg Toggs and yes they are a little noisy when walking. But my questions is, mine smell a little molded. How can I clean them or get the mold smell out of them?

I just hand wash mine and hang it to air dry. I've got a couple sets. One for the boat and one for my hunting bag.

Quote from: singlestrand on April 01, 2019, 03:14:12 PM
Arent the frogg toggs noisy?

They aren't dead silent but they aren't too noisy to use hunting.

obro

I had myself talked into making the investment and buying some upper end stuff . But you cant find it anywhere to try on .  I found a pair of the Banded pants on sale so I ordered them .  I think I will wait till the off season and revisit search . Reminder don't wait till the week before you leave on a trip to get prepared . Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it .