OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

HELP: SP-10 Bolt Release stuck

Started by mcw3734, March 31, 2019, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Took my Remington SP-10 out this morning to pattern with a new choke. Took 5 shots, all good. Then this evening went to clean it. The bolt was open from this morning, but now I can't close it. I try pressing the Carrier Release Button (Remington owner's manual terminology), you know... the bolt release thingy, but it's stuck. Like, frozen. I pressed down on it HARD, and it ain't budging. I tried pulling back/playing with the Operating Handle (finger tab thingy) and the bolt still has that normal 1/8" wiggle back-and-forth when open, but the button remains stuck. No idea what happened.

I've had the gun less than 2 years, fired maybe 20 times now, and I really haven't done any breakdown on it other than removing the barrel for cleaning. I'm hesitant to start picking it apart while something under very high tension is currently stuck. I'm going to call a trusted gunsmith tomorrow morning, hope he can help me before opening day in a couple weeks.

Anybody SP-10 owners out there ever experience anything like this? Thoughts? Thank you!

Old Gobbler

I own a sp10

Unscrew the barrel

Take the pin holding the trigger assembly

Look in the action with a light see what is holding the bolt release open ..I've had mine 25 years and have never had that issue...perhaps something like debris is stuck in there

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mcw3734

I decided to try figuring this out before taking to the gunsmith, which I did. The culprit: broken bolt buffer

The bolt buffer is this white piece of plastic at the back of the bolt and half circles the firing pin. A small piece of it chipped off and jammed up the carrier release button. It didn't take much sleuthing on the web to learn that broken bolt buffers are 'a thing' with the SP-10. So I got online and ordered two.

Thank you Old Gobbler and anybody else who put some mental effort into figuring out what went wrong. Happy hunting everybody!

bbcoach

Don't you just love the way firearms are being manufactured today?  They try to cut costs by using plastic every where they can.  Glad it didn't cost you a bird.

tha bugman

Quote from: bbcoach on April 02, 2019, 11:30:13 AM
Don't you just love the way firearms are being manufactured today?  They try to cut costs by using plastic every where they can.  Glad it didn't cost you a bird.
How much would a vehicle cost today if they were all metal like they used to be?  Now we are all just basically riding around in plastic cups with wheels. :TooFunny:

bbcoach

Quote from: tha bugman on April 02, 2019, 02:09:25 PM
How much would a vehicle cost today if they were all metal like they used to be?  Now we are all just basically riding around in plastic cups with wheels. :TooFunny:
Agree Bugman but not in the receiver area.  That's like building pistons out of steel and the rings with plastic.   :z-twocents:

Brian Fahs

Quote from: mcw3734 on April 02, 2019, 01:48:00 AM
I decided to try figuring this out before taking to the gunsmith, which I did. The culprit: broken bolt buffer

The bolt buffer is this white piece of plastic at the back of the bolt and half circles the firing pin. A small piece of it chipped off and jammed up the carrier release button. It didn't take much sleuthing on the web to learn that broken bolt buffers are 'a thing' with the SP-10. So I got online and ordered two.

Thank you Old Gobbler and anybody else who put some mental effort into figuring out what went wrong. Happy hunting everybody!

My cousin and I have owned and hunted with sp-10's since the first year they came out. Very early 1990s if I recal.

The bolt buffer cost me a follow up shot on a double one morning the first year I had it. It broke and jammed the bolt open. The white plastic bolt buffer is most likely the original for that gun. Ours all broke within the first year or so we had them. They are junk plastic. The replacement bolt buffers we bought were black plastic which have held up for near 30 years of torture. I have been told the replacement buffers are much tougher and we proved it.

While you have the gun apart to fix it I recommend a thorough cleaning. We have beaten the hell out of our sp-10's and as long as you keep them clean especially after they get wet or submerged.....yes ours swim occasionally crossing deep water, they work very reliably.

bbcoach

Quote from: Brian Fahs on April 02, 2019, 07:12:51 PM
Quote from: mcw3734 on April 02, 2019, 01:48:00 AM

My cousin and I have owned and hunted with sp-10's since the first year they came out. Very early 1990s if I recal.

The bolt buffer cost me a follow up shot on a double one morning the first year I had it. It broke and jammed the bolt open. The white plastic bolt buffer is most likely the original for that gun. Ours all broke within the first year or so we had them. They are junk plastic. The replacement bolt buffers we bought were black plastic which have held up for near 30 years of torture. I have been told the replacement buffers are much tougher and we proved it.

While you have the gun apart to fix it I recommend a thorough cleaning. We have beaten the hell out of our sp-10's and as long as you keep them clean especially after they get wet or submerged.....yes ours swim occasionally crossing deep water, they work very reliably.
Well said Brian, my point exactly....JUNK PLASTIC.

Brian Fahs

The plastic  part that broke is basically a cap on the rear of the bolt to keep the bolt going metal to metal on recoil. It is actually more like nylon than plastic. And as I stated my replacement has lasted nearly 30 years of hard use.

I really like my sp-10 and feel it is a quality firearm. Nothing about seems cheap as far as durability.