turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So... how does it work?

Started by Missed mallards, March 31, 2019, 03:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missed mallards

4 years ago my wife ventured out into the spring woods with me. As luck would have it, after a whole 30 seconds a strutter came in and she elected to point at it while I was slowly getting into position. Needless to say she thought it too easy and hasn't had any desire to go back.

So, like every spring I keep a bag packed and if work/family allows I hit the road to anywhere I can. Case in point, Thursday. No family/work that would tie me to home so I struck out to the big woods. Spent Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning in hot pursuit. Or just randomly hiking.

My wife arrives early Saturday and needing a break I swung by and picked her up for a short drive. She knew the drill and had her book in case one sounded off. So, we eased down the road doing the whole road thing. Nothing. Nada.

As the trip began to end I made a stop in a creek bed I had spent the previous 3 days in. 2 longboards have been in there since opening day and have drove me crazy. As luck would have it, my phone rings and as I'm talking my wife grabs my turkey call and began the sequence.

My truck is running mind you, I'm talking on the phone, and she's squeaking like nothing else I've ever heard when she smiles and points and says I heard one. I didn't even pay her any attention when she said listen and hits the ole box again. She points, I didn't half listen and she shrugs her shoulders and makes the comment that wasn't that hard.

3 days I had spent without one freaking word. 30 sec it took my wife to call in both the longbeards. I honestly about fell out of the truck after I ended my phone call. She hadn't said much until I put it back in drive and asked why I didn't chase the ones that went gobble gobble gobble. I asked her what and she pointed down the creek and there they both where.

I wish to say i got one. Didn't work out.

The final stop I had to relieve myself and her being a smarty made the comment Ill just call in some more. So, she asked "u do what with this call?" She hits the old box and nothing. I chuckle and was about to make a comment when a group of 5 walk right in front of the truck! Had no idea they were even in the county!

There is no moral. Embarrassing yes. Understandable, none. I've been all over the hills all season and haven't had even a close encounter.

I begged her to go hunting. Nothing, nada. Women. And yes, she's been rubbing it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clydetaylor1

Sounds about Wright. Go figure.

silvestris

Well, at least you have an effective caller now.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sixes

It sounds like the first problem was letting her tail along :toothy12:

I've been married 22+ years and my wife has been deer hunting with me exactly twice and 0 times turkey hunting. I wouldn't want it any other way.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Sixes on April 01, 2019, 12:27:12 AM
It sounds like the first problem was letting her tail along :toothy12:

I've been married 22+ years and my wife has been deer hunting with me exactly twice and 0 times turkey hunting. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Lol....going on 25 years with mine..1x Coonhunting with mine 0 on all other hunting and feel the same way. That would be way to much togetherness... :funnyturkey:

joey46

Sounds like you two should do one of those husband/wife hunting shows :TrainWreck1:.  The male half usually ends up looking like the nitwit on them.  Good luck.

Missed mallards

Quote from: joey46 on April 01, 2019, 03:55:40 AM
Sounds like you two should do one of those husband/wife hunting shows :TrainWreck1:.  The male half usually ends up looking like the nitwit on them.  Good luck.

I got that nitwit part covered! Still befuddled, couldn't have imagined it happening that way.

Wife tags along on dove and occasionally on a duck hunt. Never has gotten much enjoyment from deer/turkey and I'll be honest and say I'm grateful. The comments are right, way to much togetherness. She doesn't understand how I run to camp and spend days away while playing in the woods.

It's just nice to get away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clydetaylor1

Mine used to say she wanted to go until I wake her up then it's a different tune.

dublelung

Lol that's about right. The worst part is she'll most likely bring it up every time she's around one of your turkey hunting friends.

At least you can now scout from the vehicle and call it "quality time with the wife".

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Clydetaylor1 on April 01, 2019, 08:45:16 AM
Mine used to say she wanted to go until I wake her up then it's a different tune.
Ain't that the truth... :TrainWreck1: