OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal Grand Slam  (Read 6186 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Federal Grand Slam
« on: March 31, 2019, 10:29:21 AM »
Yesterday was the first I’d ever seen one shoot. A fellow who’s daughter is in for youth day at the refuge wanted to pattern the kids gun. We didn’t shoot extensively. Normally I’d recommend federal mag shok among a few others. Being they’re discontinued and money was an issue for dad we shot Remington Premier turkey (not the nitro) and federal grand slams. The kid is 11 so we opted to start w just regular full choke instead of a turkey construction.
We started close but made it back to 37 yards. This was in a 20. Both loads were very acceptable. The federal being the winner though. It shot a evenly distributed pattern w no holes and pretty circular. We could have easily gone back more and still had an effective pattern w that full choke.
If you’re looking for a solid lead load there’s no guarantee since it’s only one gun but this may be one of your options. I know I’d not be afraid to try it on a pattern board

Offline Ozark

Re: Federal Grand Slam
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »
I think I might pick some of these up to try in a fixed full NEF single 12.
Thanks for the info.
Ozark

Offline DBell

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
Yesterday was the first I’d ever seen one shoot. A fellow who’s daughter is in for youth day at the refuge wanted to pattern the kids gun. We didn’t shoot extensively. Normally I’d recommend federal mag shok among a few others. Being they’re discontinued and money was an issue for dad we shot Remington Premier turkey (not the nitro) and federal grand slams. The kid is 11 so we opted to start w just regular full choke instead of a turkey construction.
We started close but made it back to 37 yards. This was in a 20. Both loads were very acceptable. The federal being the winner though. It shot a evenly distributed pattern w no holes and pretty circular. We could have easily gone back more and still had an effective pattern w that full choke.
If you’re looking for a solid lead load there’s no guarantee since it’s only one gun but this may be one of your options. I know I’d not be afraid to try it on a pattern board
Yup these shoot awesome for me as well. I’m curious the constriction on the full choke you used. I’m using a .565 trulock but wanted to experiment with maybe a .575.
Also, if you had to guess what were the numbers you were seeing in the 10” at 37 yards? I seem to average around 60-70 at that distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »
Wish I could be exact w number count and construction size. It wasn’t my gun, we were setting it for his daughter. It was Mossberg factory 20 ga full choke from the bantam model.
The numbers were good. Not blow your mind tight but that wasn’t our attempt. The child is 10-11 and we wanted forgivable. Tell you what I’d def Hunt w it. Sorry I can be more precise

Offline DBell

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 12:02:16 PM »
Wish I could be exact w number count and construction size. It wasn’t my gun, we were setting it for his daughter. It was Mossberg factory 20 ga full choke from the bantam model.
The numbers were good. Not blow your mind tight but that wasn’t our attempt. The child is 10-11 and we wanted forgivable. Tell you what I’d def Hunt w it. Sorry I can be more precise
Not a problem. I was more curious if I could improve my setup with a less constrictive choke.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 12:38:18 PM »
Every gun is different. Two nights ago a buddy of mine n I shot his gun. It used TSS but that’s not the point. Everyone on here recommended a certain choke. We’d shot it weeks ago and it wasn’t imo great. He got 3 more chokes. You know what a fairly light constriction and an 8 dollar choke was the clear winner. On all patterning aspects the more the better. I’d not be afraid to try the grand slams though

Offline DBell

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
Every gun is different. Two nights ago a buddy of mine n I shot his gun. It used TSS but that’s not the point. Everyone on here recommended a certain choke. We’d shot it weeks ago and it wasn’t imo great. He got 3 more chokes. You know what a fairly light constriction and an 8 dollar choke was the clear winner. On all patterning aspects the more the better. I’d not be afraid to try the grand slams though
Exactly. My setup is shooting quite well currently but there’s that side of me saying “maybe I’ll try one more choke..” haha

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »
I've been using grand slams this season and I've got to give them a big thumbs up

Offline DBell

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
I've been using grand slams this season and I've got to give them a big thumbs up
You shootin 12 or 20?

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 09:56:12 AM »
I've been using a 12 ga and my wife been shooting a 20 and very happy with the results out of both of them