OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First bird of the season

Started by uarobert, March 28, 2019, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uarobert

Last Friday, I got on the board with an Alabama Public Land gobbler.

Three days before, a bird busted me. I was sitting on top of a ridge after hearing him gobble a ways down the hill. I heard him walking just over the crest of the hill and had to turn 90deg right to face him. When he showed himself, I had to wait for him to get behind a tree and lean more to the right, making things awkward. I wanted him to get out of strut and get a little closer, but he caught a slight head movement and he was gone.

I decided on Friday that I would go back to the same area. After 5 days of hunting, putting a lot of miles on my legs, and only hearing a single gobble off the roost, I was feeling kinda lazy, so I didn't get out there until 8:45.

I hiked in and got to the area about 10:00. I sat at the top of a steep bottom that I figured they might be in to get out of the wind. This bottom has a knob at the top that makes it fork into two small ones. I didn't hear any response when I walked in, so I sat down on the other side of the knob from the bottom. I sat down and made some hen yelps and cuts with Jake yelps cutting her off and then staged a Jake fight. It wasn't even ten minutes before I heard steps just over the knob. I turn in the right direction and then I see red and white. Next thing I know, there are two gobblers strutting slowly to me. The one bird had a pure white head, so he was ready for action and I figured he was the head man. I had to wait a little bit for them to get closer and to get some distance between them, so I'd only hit one. Just as soon as they were positioned right, I shot the white-headed one.
19 lb
9 3/4" beard
1 1/8" spurs
A shout out to Gooserbat Calls for the OsS mouth call and Mac Calls for the aluminum in birdseye maple call that I used.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

uarobert

Thanks!
I'm certainly happy with him.
I had to carry him out over a mile, but the walk back was a good bit easier than I expected.
I guess I had a little extra spring in my step.

boomer

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bucktale

uarobert

Quote from: Bucktale on March 28, 2019, 01:34:57 PM

Nice bird. I like the pics.

Thanks. I have to give some credit to Cove/Dave. After watching him, I decided I need to put some effort into displaying what The Good Lord put into these birds.

kyturkeyhunter4

zelmo1

Well deserved trophy bro, congrats

Harty

Congrats. Way to stick with it!

Clydetaylor1

tomstopper

Congrats on a nice one

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

renegade19

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

RutnNStrutn

renegade19