OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: homemade stretcher?  (Read 4389 times)

Offline limbhanger777

homemade stretcher?
« on: March 27, 2019, 09:41:12 AM »
has anyone made a homemade latex stretcher of some sort? or used something else as a stretcher?

I was wondering if I could use something like this to stretch reeds more consistently than you could by hand?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DK732Z/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2HZGVWOQZPC5V&psc=1

I am just gaining some interest in making my own calls, I'm not quite ready to invest in a press or hand jig yet. thank you!

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: homemade stretcher?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 10:41:36 PM »
You'd have to figure a way to clamp your latex onto that but outside of that I don't see any reason it couldn't be used.

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 08:58:38 AM »
okay cool thanks, I was planning on using the screws that come with it and the plastic pieces to clamp the latex down until I come up with something better.

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
I got this and had a chance to try it out last night. its a little finicky but it does work. I used a caliper ensure I was consistently stretching the latex. and was able to make my first couple calls. I'm excited to play around with this more and experiment to find the right "recipe" for me

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:39:26 AM »
Got any pics of how you got it done?
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »
So first I clamp the latex on both side so it’s flat and zero my caliper. Then I stretch the latex however tight you want it to be. Then I add my frame and crimp it with pliers.

This definitely isn’t as easy or consistent as I’m sure a jug meant for this process would be, but for me, with a little effort I have gotten it to work and have been able to make some of my own call.

Offline county hunter

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 05:29:07 AM »
Nothing wrong with that. Easy way to get started and tinker.

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »
Ricky Joe Bishop has just come out with a jig press he calls Lil Jiggy. Jig, tools and enough material to make 20 calls is only $56, I think. He makes the jig on a 3D printer. It's pretty neat. I have a feather ridge that works very well, but is also expensive, but is very precise, and worth the money. There are some plans on the internet on how to make a jig for hardly nothing. You are doing the right thing, find out if you enjoy making them before you spend a lot of many.

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 10:30:03 PM »
A buddy of mine from work made me this one, not sure what he has in it ($$$$) he wouldn't tell me. But for making myself and a few friends some calls for hunting it works perfect.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 10:37:34 PM »
You can tell my father married 3 nurses, I honestly though this was going to be about how to get an injured person out of the woods.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."