OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you?

Started by Happy, March 26, 2019, 12:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Would you be interested videotaping your hunts and putting them on social media/youtube?

I have noticed the trend shifting away from TV hunting and I am all for that. However on a personal level I just can't bring myself to video my own hunts. Not knocking anyone that does but to me it is extremely personal and I don't want to share my experiences with everyone. I want to relive the hunts in my mind and maybe do a little embellishing as the years past. It's my memory and in cases others went along its theirs also. I have taped hunts for a few people when I was the caller and I have always just handed the tape over to the hunter and that was that. I enjoy a select few of the youtube channels so I am not knocking it but I just couldn't do it. So what say you fellows?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

Only when I'm reaping....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

deerpoo22

I don't really care about the personal thing, but turkeys have too good of eyesight for me to be fuddling around with equipment. So no I don't film

zelmo1

My next big purchase is a video camera and tripod. I will tape and call my daughter and wife and friends. I will get my rush from that

idratherb

I gotta be honest, I dont get to do it as much as I used to with kids and my job so I enjoy sippin on coffee in the morning and check out Dave Owens and Catmans Videos.

bigbird

I'm going to attempt it this spring. I have a couple of farms that are field spots so I can get a blind out there and get his real good

GobbleNut

I started video-taping hunts back in the mid-80's.  I go through phases where I do it some years and others not.  I agree that they are more for personal reasons than anything.  Anymore, turkey hunting videos are a dime a dozen and it takes something really unique to garner any notice.  Plus, putting them on social media just opens the door for the armchair critics that seem to thrive on the internet.  Personally, I don't need that.

Besides that, anybody that films their own hunts (solo), will soon find that getting quality video of self-filmed hunts is pretty hard to do when trying to get good footage of what I would call "traditional" hunting methods. 

LaLongbeard

I've never filmed a hunt. I think there are enough people doing it already maybe two or three that do a good job and then the rest of them are garbage. I'm not saying I could film hunts any better, but I have enough sense to not put a bunch of garbage on the internet and then wonder why people don't like it lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

tomstopper

I do but for my own use. Definitely going to this season when I take my daughter out

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

wvboy

I have been doing it for years.. I used to have all mine marked private so only I could see them, but a few friends ask me to make them public so that they could share them .. I am not on any prostaff, and don't take money from any sponsors, and for sure Kill first and video second..  so these are just for me and whoever else happens across them and enjoys them or not.  I enjoy reliving some of my hunts this way, for every hunt I get on film there are around 5 to 6 that for some reason or another I don't get on film but still kill a bird.  It's not easy self filming for sure.. Blinds make it easier, but now that my boys are older I don't use them much any more unless it's pouring the rain.

Here is a link in case anyone wants a good laugh at someone who is not a professional video guy and just enjoys having the memory preserved.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmB6KWrDxEvCGbITPSCApeSYMxtd3fxdn
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Drycreek

I would only video my sons hunts and that would be for personal use!

johnski

I have never taped any of mine, there a few hunts I wished I had on video, not ones were I killed but some of the ones I got busted on or missed so I could get a better idea of what went wrong.

tha bugman

Quote from: Happy on March 26, 2019, 12:51:30 PM
Would you be interested videotaping your hunts and putting them on social media/youtube?

I have noticed the trend shifting away from TV hunting and I am all for that. However on a personal level I just can't bring myself to video my own hunts. Not knocking anyone that does but to me it is extremely personal and I don't want to share my experiences with everyone. I want to relive the hunts in my mind and maybe do a little embellishing as the years past. It's my memory and in cases others went along its theirs also. I have taped hunts for a few people when I was the caller and I have always just handed the tape over to the hunter and that was that. I enjoy a select few of the youtube channels so I am not knocking it but I just couldn't do it. So what say you fellows?
I feel exactly the same way that you do. Turkey hunting is very personal and private ( I was always taught to listen and don't tell nobody nothing :TooFunny: , but I do record my own hunts edit and produce them.  I wish I had the money to convert all my VHS and mini DV recordings I have made through the years.  I have a YouTube channel, but I download the completed vid and set them as private and never  re watch them.  I really don't do it for anyone but my kids.  I figure it will be better for them to remember good times and show their kids who granddad was and maybe even learn a thing or two.  Way better than a photo album for sure.  All that said, I am not knocking anyone who videos and posts their hunts...THP, Catman, and Dave Owens do a great job with their work!  Very refreshing to see folks putting out quality turkey hunting footage! :you_rock:

guesswho

My hunts get better with age.  The camera don't lie, so for that reason I don't film any of my hunts.   My turkey hunting story's are usually enhanced versions of the truth, done so for my entertainment purposes.  The older the hunt, usually the more enhanced the story.   I have some doozies from the 60's and 70's.  :newmascot:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

Quote from: guesswho on March 26, 2019, 04:51:10 PM
My hunts get better with age.  The camera don't lie, so for that reason I don't film any of my hunts.   My turkey hunting story's are usually enhanced versions of the truth, done so for my entertainment purposes.  The older the hunt, usually the more enhanced the story.   I have some doozies from the 60's and 70's.  :newmascot:
So I was down in this gully, and the turkeys heard my calling and flew down from a ridge (about 4-5 miles away)...  When they got to me, after hearing my calling, I had to fight them off, and it was pure luck I was able to reach my gun and dispatch one, and the rest ran off...  18" beard, and 3" spurs...  Weight 33 lbs...   He was the small one.  Really, I am just lucky to be alive at this point.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.