OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No luck in Florida

Started by Holtbensley, March 26, 2019, 12:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtbensley

As We are heading back to Ohio coming through North Carolina I wanted to share that I had no luck killing an Osceola to go towards my first slam. I hunted the 20th-25th and I didn't even hear a single bird gobble. I seen birds the first two nights then went dead. I was hunting in central Florida (DeLand) private ground my girlfriends family found us. I think the best route to go down there is go through an outfitter
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

GobbleNut

Man that sucks.  Sorry to hear of your poor luck.  That's a long way to go to not even hear a bird gobble.  I can understand your disappointment. 

neal

Sorry to hear that. I agree outfitter if you want to have the best chance to get it done. I've been there 4 times and one of those times it was a one bird hunt with an outfitter I killed my bird then tried for my second on public. That one experience taught me outfitted land is the way to go. I'm in northern WI and I'm not going that far to sight see. I want to at least have a chance. If you're looking at going back shoot me a pm I can give you info to the ranch I hunted.
Hope the rest of your spring brings better luck.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Muzzy61

Sorry you weren't able to hook up. The birds in North Fla have been very silent as well. A couple gobbling on the roost, but nothing once they hit the ground. I killed one last week that never made a sound.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

bbcoach

Quote from: Muzzy61 on March 26, 2019, 03:11:40 PM
Sorry you weren't able to hook up. The birds in North Fla have been very silent as well. A couple gobbling on the roost, but nothing once they hit the ground. I killed one last week that never made a sound.
Sounds like typical Osceola's!  One of the toughest birds to hunt and kill for your slam IMO.  These birds don't gobble much especially after fly down.  But if you can get one to gobble later in the day, click your safety off.

djrcm7

That Osceola is a tough one. My friend and I spent a week down there on public ground. Heard 3 birds gobble all week. Only one gobbled more than once. He was tucked into the thickest swamp you'd ever seen. Neither of us killed so I'll be going back on private ground or with an outfitter
Med student from MO

The Southpaw

I have a good buddy who is down there hunting public right now. He has been in birds four out of the last five days. He's putting a pile of miles on though, and scouting every minute from quitting time until dark.

camotoe

There here but it's been a tough year. Better luck to you next year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Quote from: neal on March 26, 2019, 02:50:51 PM
Sorry to hear that. I agree outfitter if you want to have the best chance to get it done. I've been there 4 times and one of those times it was a one bird hunt with an outfitter I killed my bird then tried for my second on public. That one experience taught me outfitted land is the way to go. I'm in northern WI and I'm not going that far to sight see. I want to at least have a chance. If you're looking at going back shoot me a pm I can give you info to the ranch I hunted.
Hope the rest of your spring brings better luck.
Neal

When I make the trip to Florida this is what my plan will be.

OJR

Outfitter is the way to go. I just got back from Florida and 4 of us each killed 2 in 2 days.

patoad

I just got back from a hunt with Hookspur (Doc Tom Weddle). Had a great hunt and killed my first Osceola. Would highly recommend him...not your typical outfitted hunt.

Tom Threetoes

Would you care to send me a PM with Hook spur's contact info, Please.

ddturkeyhunter

Sorry to hear you didn't fill your tags, but I hope you still had a good hunt. If your just looking to shoot a bird maybe a guide is the way to go. But if your going to a different state and hunting public land birds it may not be easy, but thats what makes the hunt so great. My first Osceola a public land bird did not come to me the first year ether. I ended going back down the next year to hunt and learn the lay of the land, the birds and the other hunters hunting them. Now after many miles of learning and good luck, things are different. My last three trips to florida public WMA i have been fortunate to tag out each time, again this year. So it can be done, and to say I did it my self with out a guide is priceless.