OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: recommendation for youth mouthcall  (Read 2832 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
recommendation for youth mouthcall
« on: March 26, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »
My 10 year old daughter has taken an interest in learning how to use a mouth call.  I took one that I had and tried to cut the tape down but then she told me last night that the tape came completely off the frame.  Any recommendations on a call to get her? 

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: recommendation for youth mouthcall
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:15:30 PM »
From what others have said, I understand that the guys at Hook's Calls are really good at helping out with that sort of thing.  I would contact them....

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 02:12:01 AM »
Definitely contact Scott at hooks. He helped me a lot when I was getting started.

Since I use a small frame and hooks are my favorite, I will recommend their Jr. pro. It's a 2 reed reverse combo that takes very little air. For determining what cut works best for her I would get the Jr. pro, Jr. Duplicator (3 reed batwing), the apex (combo cut) and Jr. Manipulator which is what I call a v cut on steroids. I generally can't use a v cut but the way they cut it, I can. Their jr. pro 3 is also good if a reverse combo ends up working for her. I have all of these and even the 3 reeds are not hard to use.

If a batwing works best and she wants a 2 reed instead of 3, the small frame legacy lone hen is a good call also. I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:25:45 AM by coyote1 »

Offline mpgavin1987

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
I heard of some people preferring to taking the tape off completely and using it. Learning as well at 31 and love hooks. Plus it’s actually based out of the town I live in so get to support that local small made in America business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
I heard of some people preferring to taking the tape off completely and using it. Learning as well at 31 and love hooks. Plus it’s actually based out of the town I live in so get to support that local small made in America business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  I have seen folks do it, and I tried it, but I couldn't get the hang of it without tape