OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobble Calls

Started by Rzrbac, March 24, 2019, 03:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

What is your choice for gobbles? I've always used a Primos shaker tube. I've wore several of them out and just buy a new one instead of changing reeds. I'm gonna need a new one for this season and I got to thinking there's probably a better choice. Last summer I met an accomplished turkey hunter from S.C. and he was trying to convince me a Haint gobble call was the ticket. He had some video of him using one and it sounded much better than a shaker tube.  Are there any other calls out there that produce realistic gobbles?  I've had good luck with the shaker tube and using a mouth call but neither sound extremely realistic. Just wondering if there's something I'm missing, thanks.

Chordeiles

I just use my box call.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Certain double sided box calls can produce a very realistic gobble.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

turkeymanjim

I just use a tube call. Takes some practice but gives realistic gobbles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

turkaholic

I have tried many. My favorite is the Red Wolf gobble tube. It sounds better than most but non are truly realistic. It's all about cadence and rhythm. I am a bid fan of gobble tubes and would never hunt without one. They are one call that I always keep a spare on my trips incase I loose it. What makes them effective is it's not a hen call and keeps hens from dragging away the gobblers. I try to avoid hen calls during different points in the mating season. Killed a good many gobblers using nothing but gobble tube, turkey wing and leaf scratching. I still use all my calls but this is a strategy I believe in.
live to hunt hunt to live

MK M GOBL

The old Red Wolfe's World Champion G-O-B-B-L-E Call, I have had a few others...

and then there's this! Mouth Call

https://www.facebook.com/GaysMillsSportsmansClubLearnToHuntProgram/videos/1670146359667682/

MK M GOBL

tomstopper

Box call is what I use

TRG3

For several years, I've usually filled my three Illinois turkey tags with the aid of a Primos Gobble Shaker call. While I've tried 3-4 others, I like this one the best. They are available via Amazon at a very reasonable price. By using a gobble call, one is utilizing the peck order to entice a tom to come in. Here's my sequence: While the birds are sounding off on the roost, I'll give a few tree yelps to let them know that a new hen is in the area. After a while, I'll use the Primos call to respond to any hen yelps I make to give the impression that an intruder gobbler is also in the area and is moving in on the new hen. Often my gobbles are immediately following the real tom's gobbles which I feel he takes as a challenge. At fly down, often a mature bird will come in, but if not later in the morning one may respond. My decoy set up includes a Funky Chicken just to the rear of a hen on the ground in the breeding position placed in an open area, such as a picked corn or soy bean field and I'll get 20+ yards away in the brush. Sometimes I'll also put out a feeding hen decoy. Once the mature bird starts my way, I'll shut up any calling and let the decoys influence his behavior.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ferocious calls

Just got 2 of the last Red Wolfe gobble calls. His son Mike is parting with the last of them this year.

Side story: One of my cousins was hunting our farm and was set up beside the camp yard. I could here him squawking much of the morning. Now he is the kind of guy that tells you how many more he saw after you tell him what you saw. A real tool. I made my way behind the garage without being seen. I ripped on the Wolfes gobble tube. He answered with what sounded like a hen that was getting abused. I hit it again. This went on for a few min until I quadruple gobbled and went quiet. I waited a few minutes and strolled over to his position. He was really excited, almost shaking. He told me the story and I asked if he got to see the Tom. He said that it walked out in front of the camp and out across the field out of range. I told him, no you didn't and that was me. How could you gobble he asked. I pulled the tube out and gobbled. He then asked why I did it so much. Told him I heard a turkey over here. He said that was him. I said, oh you're the turkey and walked away. Finally an in your face BS bust on him.

I always knew he was a liar but now he knows, I know. It was truly priceless.  :smiley-char092:

Ctrize

If you are looking for something to use during hunting any of them might work on a given day, box ,shaker or tube. If you want one as a locator call that carries I think the tube call is your best bet it already has a little megphone built in.

sixbird

I used a gobble tube for years. The one I liked best was H.S. Strutt. Seemed more realistic sounding.
That said, I gave up on tubes after I realized that I could gobble on a box and it sounded more realistic and I didn't need to carry anything extra. Easy as pie so it's not like anybody can't do it.
What TRG is saying regarding scenario and sequence is spot on. With a box you can gobble in the same manor and you can also gobbler yelp which adds to the perceived insult. I use gobbler yelps quite a bit in the Spring. Not as a constant call but after doing a number of hen yelping sequences, I'll throw a gobbler yelp in and, if I have a gobbler coming in, throw one in and maybe a gobble to up the jealousy factor. After the gobble, I usually try going silent as if the intruder has found the hen and is doing his romancing. Just imagine yourself, all wound up over "your" hen and some knucklehead finds her first and you know he's schmoozing her. You know you're better at it and you think you can whoop him (there are no social mores to keep you from doing it). That's what you're trying to portray.
You can do all of that with most any box and it takes almost no practice. It's that easy...

TauntoHawk

Mouth call and box, my mouth call gobbles sound more Jake then full blown Tom and I think that aids in their effectiveness for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Treerooster

I use a box call. Rubber bands are not necessary to gobble on a box. I just hold the handle firmly and hold the paddle between my index and middle fingers and move the paddle rapidly across both rails.

I find a box that is relatively narrow across the rails will work better for me. Like an 1" to 1 1/8" across. I can gobble on a short or long box as long as it is relatively narrow across.

I can make the gobble sound pretty good or not so good like a jake and then add a yelp or two at the end of the gobble. Jakes yelp a lot after their gobble when they are learning to make the call.

There is an advantage of using a call that you are already using, be it box, mouth, or tube call. You can make calls right next to each other (such as a Jake yelp immediately after a gobble, or interrupt a hen yelping with a gobble) and there is less movement...you don't have to dig out your gobble call. Plus it is one less call to carry.

ol bob

Better try a haint before you buy very few can call on one.