OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wind and field birds

Started by Jrkimbrough, March 22, 2019, 01:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

Do you think wind direction affects where birds hang out in a field?  Or do you think they generally like to hang in a general area of a field regardless of wind direction?

I've obviously seen birds in high wind days gather in fields where they are sheltered from the wind but I wasn't sure what your thoughts were on days where the winds are a just a little gusty and not over bearing.

One of the main properties I hunt has lots of large ag fields so the majority of my hunting is field birds.

I'm just curious if you guys have a hunting strategy of specific locations you like to setup due to wind direction.

turkaholic

I don't do very much large field hunting but I'm sure being down wind of where you expect them to be will allow for better listening conditions.
live to hunt hunt to live

davisd9

I hate windy conditions more than any other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ctrize

I think they do find cover it might be subtle like dip in the field or a tree line I have seen them around a big oak with no leaves during a rain storm.

guesswho

Moderate wind, no.  Heavy wind, yes.  Throw in rain with the heavier wind, most definitely.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

My experience with fields is that when it's rainy and windy they tend to go further towards the center and avoid the edges

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

Quote from: davisd9 on March 22, 2019, 05:34:39 PM
I hate windy conditions more than any other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I don't hunt many fields but wind is by far the one thing that shuts birds down around here

MK M GOBL

I had an Iowa gobbler that about came in about sideways. He couldn't keep his fan right and his beard was pretty horizontal :) Killed him, he sounded way farther away than he was, I set up to the upwind side of him so he could hear me easier and it worked, Have hunted in some downpours and still killed birds. For the most part they don't like that kind of wind, I tend to move off the field and get into the bottoms of the valleys out of the wind and work birds. But if something is working in that field I'm there until the game is over (dead or gone).

MK M GOBL

fallhnt

Wind to a Eastern is not wind to a Rio. Birds like to strut where they can be seen. So the high spot would be preferred. Won't take much wind to put an Eastern in the holler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy