OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: You got any good turkey related stories?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
You got any good turkey related stories?
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:51:04 PM »
One of the big attractions this sport has for me is that I can usually come from the woods with a story about something that I saw. How about you? Do you have something interesting from your woods?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: You got any good turkey related stories?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 09:43:17 AM »
A few years ago, my wife and I had gone to a local home improvement store for some things for the house. Afterward, we got in the car and I turned to her and said "Honey, I think I am a pretty good turkey caller". She said "Yes, you are". I backed out of the parking spot and started through the parking lot. I continued, "Honey, I think I am a GREAT turkey caller". She said "Yes, I am sure that you think that".   I said "Honey, I think that I am so good that I can make a man gobble just by yelping at him". She exasperatingly said "Honey...sure you can". I pulled up next to a guy loading some lumber into his truck in front of the store, rolled down the window and yelped at him with my mouth. Without hesitation, he triple gobbled right back at me. I waved, rolled up the window and proceeded to the exit. It was several seconds before I looked over at my wife, who was sitting there with her mouth open and the most incredulous look on the face. I just shrugged at her and headed home.

The guy loading lumber into his truck was Preston Pittman.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
that's funny Norman I hooted at him as I passed him in Kroger and he gobbled!

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:21:10 PM »
another great story I have just happened today, me and buddy had hunted all morning, had gobblers all over us, he had one at 35 yards and was about to shoot when the bird spooked and flew off, we had called it a day and were leaving camp when he called and said stay at the sign in, he comes flying back in and said 3 gobblers just crossed in front of  him on the road and said they were in a small draw that we needed to get ahead of them, this never works right but we set up I call twice and here they come, I have a shot at 35 yards but he cant see and when he can see I cant, well I rushed a bad shot and missed then he shoots at one that never moved and he missed but his next shot drops a good bird, just over a inch spurs, buddy had his work pants on and Crocs! I will post the pic soon.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:45:09 PM »
my buddy is on fire, two in two days

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 02:01:35 AM »
Last season actually. I was set up on the edge of a bench that split a feeder creek dumping into a larger stream.  The birds were roosted across a wide gorge,  literally 70 yards from the highway,  but when they flew down, they flew across the ravine to my side and the point of the bench.  Well they were hammering away on the roost, probably 6 gobblers and twice that many Jake's.  I had hens behind me and to my right and I was between them and the gobblers.  As it got light and about flydown time they suddenly all, to the bird shut up.  Nothing.  Not a peep.  As I sat there wondering what happened,  I see a flash of dark movement in the hemlocks 75 yards in front of me, right where the birds should come. I got ready and made a couple soft yelps.  The bird turned to my right and as it crested the edge of a little rose along the edge of the ravine the gobbler suddenly turned into a nice, dark colored coyote.   It stopped behind a big oak and just stood there looking.  I made some mouse squeaks with my mouth and before I could finish he had turned and was comin at me on a dead run!  There was a dead log laying a foot off the ground about 10 feet from me and all I could see was his head bobbing as he literally sprinted at me. As he jumped the log we locked eyes and he had the most epic "OH $#!T!!" look on his face as I squeezed the trigger.  The heavyweight 7s hit him just in front of his left shoulder and flipped him backwards.  The shot had just starting to leave the wad and every pellet hit him, the pattern barely an inch and a half wide.  The wad bounced off and went sailing like a sabot.  To credit how tough these dogs can be, he managed to crawl and flip himself almost 50 yards away after the shot before expiring.  The skid marks in the dirt left by his front paws when I shot were 7 feet from the muzzle of my shotgun...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:49:02 AM »
WOW, Don, That was breathtaking! Wonder what he would have done if he had reached you.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »
WOW, Don, That was breathtaking! Wonder what he would have done if he had reached you.

Well I'm a combat vet, but I've never been in a knife fight with a coyote before Norm.  :TooFunny:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.