OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weird roost behavior.

Started by macobb, March 17, 2019, 05:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

I was setup where I thought these birds were roosted yesterday. Daylight came and I started to hear birds leave the roost only to watch them all group up in two big white oaks at the tip tops of the trees. There were numerous hens and watched two tons try their best to strut on the limb. Not one gobble amongst the birds (what I'm guessing was about 12 at least). I watched them hop tree top to tree top all over the bottom for 2 & 1/2 hours. Sunrise was at 6:55 am and they stayed in the trees til 9:30 at which time they flew down and ghosted. It was 35 degrees and sunny this morning but I've killed birds gobbling every breath in that weather before. The only calls I gave we're at first light and just soft clucks and whines. Idk what to make of this behavior. I was on the edge of a tiny maybe 50x75 yard foodplot in the middle of a hardwood bottom. Anyone ever seen this? Any thoughts or ideas?
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cottonmouth

I don't know. Do you have a lot of predators? Maybe they were below them lurking around.

macobb

I was within 75 yards in a blind. I don't think a predator would have been in there without me knowing. I am confident they never spotted me as I was in there blind up and brushed in by 45 min before light and they were originally roosted in different directions about 150 yards back and flew to the trees near me and gathered up. I quit calling once they did that cause I knew they'd be looking for a hen they couldn't find. The blind I was in is only 30 inches y'all but I was tucked in tight.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

fallhnt

They were spooked at some point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

HookedonHooks

I've observed similar behavior on a fall morning while deer hunting from a ladder stand. I was just under  the impression they could see my orange vest and were not spooked enough to leave where they wanted to be.

If there wasn't a predator that wasn't you, it's possible they heard you on the way in and that's what they did to come check you out. That's giving turkeys a lot of credit I know, but it's possible?

MK M GOBL

Sounds like they were spooked by something on the ground, predator of some sort. Have had a bobcat come in totally silent and turkeys have spotted them, where I didn't. They have a great advantage from the tree tops and their view from there.

MK M GOBL

turkaholic

I once shot a gobbler and the rest of the flock flew up in the trees and hopped around similar to what you described.
live to hunt hunt to live

Spurs

Budding?  Heard of it but never seen it myself.  Turkey will fly tree to tree feeding on the fresh buds.
This year is going to suck!!!

zelmo1

My guess would be a bobcat, sneakiest animal in the woods. Remember, they can see a looooooong ways from the roost.   :z-twocents:

Treerooster

Quote from: Spurs on March 17, 2019, 08:42:06 PM
Budding?  Heard of it but never seen it myself.  Turkey will fly tree to tree feeding on the fresh buds.

A good possibility.

I have seen this.

Actually they eat catkins in the spring (and fall catkins too in the fall/winter). If they were doing this, and you could see them, you should have observed them picking/feeding on the catkins, at least the hens anyways. They do it in the very tops of the tree and other parts of a tree where they can reach them.

When they feed on catkins they will move from tree to tree as they feed.

Maybe you need to consider a rope and some climbing spurs for your next roost set up on these birds.  :toothy9:

GobbleNut

Quote from: Treerooster on March 17, 2019, 10:09:51 PM

A good possibility.
I have seen this.
Actually they eat catkins in the spring (and fall catkins too in the fall/winter). If they were doing this, and you could see them, you should have observed them picking/feeding on the catkins, at least the hens anyways. They do it in the very tops of the tree and other parts of a tree where they can reach them.

I would say a combination of factors caused this behavior.  I agree that the primary reason was that there was something budding in those trees that turkeys really like to eat.  Add to that the notion that they must not be in total breeding mode yet.  If they were, the gobblers would have got on the ground and tried to get those hens out of the trees,...and if the hens were totally in the mood, as well, they would surely have delayed the "budding" to get with the boys. 

The predator theory is a good one,....BUT, if they were concerned about predators, you would have seen evidence of that in terms of the birds being on the alert and "putting" at the culprit.  If they were doing none of that, that pretty much rules out that theory. 

All indications from your story point towards the first explanation,...."budding" and lack of focused breeding interest. 

catman529

I'd guess they saw a predator down below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Treerooster

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 18, 2019, 09:09:55 AM
Quote from: Treerooster on March 17, 2019, 10:09:51 PM

A good possibility.
I have seen this.

I would say a combination of factors caused this behavior.  I agree that the primary reason was that there was something budding in those trees that turkeys really like to eat.  Add to that the notion that they must not be in total breeding mode yet.  If they were, the gobblers would have got on the ground and tried to get those hens out of the trees,...and if the hens were totally in the mood, as well, they would surely have delayed the "budding" to get with the boys. 

The predator theory is a good one,....BUT, if they were concerned about predators, you would have seen evidence of that in terms of the birds being on the alert and "putting" at the culprit.  If they were doing none of that, that pretty much rules out that theory. 

All indications from your story point towards the first explanation,...."budding" and lack of focused breeding interest.

I agree with you on the putting if there was a predator below them, plus their attitude or posturing would be totally different than if feeding. More alert if a predator.

Not to sure about the breeding mode though. Most hunting seasons are set to begin after breeding has started...supposedly anyways. The turkeys I know best are the ones in NE Colo and western Neb. Their breeding is well under way by the time spring catkins appear. I would think the hens just wanted to feed on the catkins because the catkins were right (if that is the case) and the gobblers knew it and just followed the hens.   

Turkeys feeding in the tops of trees while not common is certainly not rare either. I would imagine many turkeys do it and several times a year. I do remember reading about it in a Tom Kelly book or maybe it was Lovett Williams, can't remember which book really.

It would be nice to get some feedback from the OP on what exactly he observed from the birds.

limbhanger777

Did you use a flashlight when sneaking into your blind? I don't have anyway to know for sure but I have had birds act strange after sneaking in not too far from the roost with a light.

I now try to not use any light if possible and if I need to I use the dimmest light I have just when I need it.