turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spooked Tom and what to do

Started by macobb, March 16, 2019, 03:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

So Alabama opening day this morning was a little underwhelming. Heard birds leave the roost not a yelp, cluck, or gobble to be heard (except one cackle). After a couple hours I decided to get up and go to the other side of our property. As I walked through the foodplot looking for sign I busted what looked to be about a dozen turkeys out of the hardwood bottom beyond the field. Only saw one red head amongst them as best I could tell. I'm looking for advice; do you think going back in there tomorrow is too soon? Any tips when you've spooked birds. I did call about 100 yards before I reached the field with no response. About maybe 10 mins before I jumped the birds. Looking for thoughts. Preciate the help
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

guesswho

I'd head right back there tomorrow.   They get spooked at some point just about everyday of their life.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

Go after him tomorrow

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Ctrize

Definitely head back fall tactic would be to move to the bust point. With that many birds in a group there should be more toms around.

Harty

Quote from: guesswho on March 16, 2019, 03:53:33 PM
I'd head right back there tomorrow.   They get spooked at some point just about everyday of there life.

Yup get back there! Sounds like he was Henned up though. Just something to consider.

turkeyfoot

Head right bag with big ol helping of patience

Spitten and drummen

You havent hurt a thing. Turkeys are spooked regulary on a daily basis. Go kill the bird tomorrow.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

HookedonHooks

I would be in there tomorrow REALLY early.... probably going to that plot off the roost if it's on the other side of the property and you didn't hear them all morning.

Slide in while it's still dark and find a big tree along the foodplot edge. I'd go no decoy personally, as I've had gobblers that were with a ton of hens like that, and it was almost as if they and the hens knew the decoys were not supposed to be there, and weren't some of their "turkey friends".

Crghss

When I bust a flock I try and get in the middle of them. Wait and listen for them to start clucking and cutting. I've killed a few as they assemble back together.

Defiantly head back there tomorrow, imho, what makes them relocate is weather more then anything.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Vinci1964

Turkey killers wait them out. Patience, patience, patience.

Clydetaylor1

Kylongspur88

G squared 23

It'd be best if you just gave up completely and quit.  Those turkeys are probably 75 miles away by now.  Stay at home and watch netflix or something.  Maybe do some quilting.

Greg Massey

Yes go back in the morning ... just have patience's ... i agree the reason you didn't hear him was probably because he was with hen's .. no need for him to gobble ....

turkaholic

If he's alone with all those hens,I'd give him a dose of false competition. Get in early and do fly down scrape wing on tree bark give him one gobble with gobble tube and sit tight. He might not be gobbling but he will usually be willing to fight for his girl friends. Just another tactic that works for me.
live to hunt hunt to live