turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey vest with sit anywhere kickstand Alps Cabela’s

Started by BobWalters, March 15, 2019, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobWalters

Wanting to grab myself a new Turkey vest for this year. Looking at two models, both of which have the "sit anywhere" frames on them which I like. I've handled and wore them around stores, but curious if anyone has either model and how well they would hold up?

http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/nwtf/hunting-vests/grand-slam

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Tactical-Tatr-Kickstand-Turkey-Vest/1153689.uts?slotId=2

From what I can find online the alps seems to be getting better reviews than the Cabela's kickstand model, but I'm still unsure. Most reviews find the alps cushioning to be better and the kickstand feature to be heavier more well made.

Rockhound

Cant speak fir the alps but the cabelas  version has been good to me for 6 years now

SD_smith

The new alps have much better kickstands. Alpz also has really good pocket layout.

rdjustham

Pocked up the alos back in november when they were on sale on amazon.  Used it three days so far so not alot of use and havent used the kickstand yet.  Its comfortable, pockets are easy to get to but the magnets that hold the seat up could be stronger.  They work fine walking down a trail, anything more than that and they fall.  Also would be nice tonhave the straps for the seat on the seat instead of the vest.  Makes it hard to clip them without taking the vest off.

NCL

Quote from: rdjustham on March 15, 2019, 11:33:16 PM
Pocked up the alos back in november when they were on sale on amazon.  Used it three days so far so not alot of use and havent used the kickstand yet.  Its comfortable, pockets are easy to get to but the magnets that hold the seat up could be stronger.  They work fine walking down a trail, anything more than that and they fall.  Also would be nice tonhave the straps for the seat on the seat instead of the vest.  Makes it hard to clip them without taking the vest off.

X2, plus I would add that the frame is on the heavy side, not so heavy that it is uncomfortable but to me it is a noticeable weight. I would buy this vest again if I had a need.

RiverRoost

Curious on this. I've been running the Tactical Tat'r 2 without the stand for a long time and love the best and seat but curious to switch to the one with the stand.

compton30

Love the Alps Grand Slam vest. Pocket layout is awesome and it is comfortable to wear. A lot of folks seem to think it's heavy and it might be, but I don't notice it. I'll add, I'm always wearing some sort of pack while I'm hunting. Deer, small game, upland, or turkeys, I've always got on some sort of pack. So to me it just felt like I was wearing a vest.

Vinci1964

Love my Cabela's tater vest. Wish it had shell loops

BobWalters

Thanks everyone, looks like you all reaffirmed the online reviews I was seeing on general selling websites and I'll be going with the Alps Grand Slam vest.

Gobble!

Quote from: BobWalters on March 17, 2019, 02:23:48 AM
Thanks everyone, looks like you all reaffirmed the online reviews I was seeing on general selling websites and I'll be going with the Alps Grand Slam vest.

Good choice. Each are at the top IMO. Seat is better on the Cabela's vest but I modified the seat on my Alps to match the Cabela's seat. The Alps seemed to fit me better and really wanted the bottomland Camo.

ezmorningrebel

I run the Alps minus the kickstand.  Great vest and layout.