OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What exactly is a 2.5 reed call? New to call making.  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Bustabeak

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Carroll county Georgia!
    • Smallwood and sons
What exactly is a 2.5 reed call? New to call making.
« on: March 12, 2019, 11:12:28 PM »
I have been making some of my own calls for the woods this spring, I’m curious to know what exactly a 2.5 reed call is? I know there’s a lot of discussion on 1/2 reeds don’t make a difference, but I want to know what it is? For example, is it just a piece of latex or proph that’s placed shorter on the frame before your stretch?

Again, I’m really new, so my terms may be incorrect.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: What exactly is a 2.5 reed call? New to call making.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:56:01 AM »
Yes, that is exactly what it is,...just a reed that is placed back from the front edge of the call.  Personally, I don't think adding a set-back/half reed will generally improve the sound of a call, although when talking about mouth calls, there is always the possibility that having that reed there will change the reed vibration such that it improves the sound of a specific call. However, to say that putting that extra reed in a call design is going to improve the sound of every call that has it would be a stretch.

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: What exactly is a 2.5 reed call? New to call making.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 02:50:27 PM »
Old topic but wanted to comment a bit. I think some people do like a 2.5 reed call not for the sake of sound, but how it feels. There are some guys that like a 2 reed call built with real thin material for both reeds. For some, its easy to over blow it and not get the volume or whatever they think they need out of it. But, they dont want to move up to a 3 reed , thicker reeds, or more tension. What I do, and this may not be orthodox thinking, I dont really know, but I like to put a half reed on TOP of the call. This stiffens up the call just enough to make it playable and still get the easy blowing performance that the call originally was built for.
Like I said, not normal probably, cause I think most makers put the half reed on the bottom.

Not good at 'splaining it, but thats what I do.
Mark