OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who taught you?

Started by MK M GOBL, March 12, 2019, 09:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

How to turkey hunt?  I have asked this question many times over during seminars. So what's your answer?? Friends? Parent? Grand Parent? Who was that most influental person who taught you the most about Turkey Hunting?

For myself I am self taught mostly, Wisconsin never had turkeys to hunt when I was young, after re-introduction a friend and I got interested in hunting them, I started by reading, watching VHS Video Tapes (Primos "The Truth" was first) went to seminars and learned a lot from our barn birds. But really had no one I knew that ever turkey hunted. I think this is one of the reasons I hunt with so many others looking to learn how to hunt turkeys, doing Learn to Hunt Programs, Mentor Program, Youth Seasons and such and why I got into doing Turkey Hunting Seminars/Clinics.

MK M GOBL

troutfisher13111

Myself. I come from a family of passionate deer hunters but nobody else turkey hunts. I started at the ripe age of 14 in 1994 armed with knowledge I got from hunting magazines. It was a long learning curve!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

coyote1

Myself. I also have a lot of family that deer hunts but no else turkey hunts. I went turkey hunting for the first time in the fall of 2009 with very little knowledge, I did manage to call in and shoot a hen within the first 2 hours. I have been hooked ever since and learned a lot along the way.

Bowguy

As a young kid turkey season started in my state. No one knew anything about em and those that knew a little wouldn't tell you anything. Eventually a fellow in my archery club would never volunteer information going fwd but said "next time try this". In a couple years I started succeeding. Different day n age. I'd have kept at it w zero input. Guys today don't know how good they have it w the generation before so willing to help.

tomstopper

Self taught. My uncles were mainly deer hunters and hunted for the meat (we were poor and they were not wasting money on something to kill a 20 lb animal). They did teach me about woodsman ship and the basics of all hunting (sit still and quiet). I read all the outdoor magazines I could find and watched as many turkey hunting shows that were on T.V (didn't have youtube then). Bought a cheap slate and glass pot and an old box call and just tried to repeat what I heard on the shows. After two years, I finally got my first one as I was packing up my gear and was planning on heading home because nothing was gobbling. I had my back against a huge PA oak tree and he came in silent and let out a gobble about 10 yards behind me. Talk about exciting.... When he went past me and got to about 15-20 yards, I shot him and have been hooked every since. My advice to all who are new to this sport and haven't got one is DONT QUIT..... IT WILL HAPPEN

darron

I got a little teary eyed when I saw this post. My father showed me the ropes. He passed away last Thursday. It won't be the same this spring.

tomstopper

Quote from: darron on March 12, 2019, 09:34:57 PM
I got a little teary eyed when I saw this post. My father showed me the ropes. He passed away last Thursday. It won't be the same this spring.
My condolences to you and your family. Good luck this spring brother

appalachianassassin

I would say self taught but that's not entirely true. I was taught by none other than Mr Tom Wiskers and his descendants

ElkTurkMan

My dad and a very good friend. My dad was an old school wait them out type Hunter. My friend was a run and gun guy. The lessons leArned from both men and the different approaches to spring turkeys shaped me to be the Hunter i am.

guesswho

We, as a family are self taught.    By we I mean my parents and myself. We started in 1965. I was only a kid but was included in everything.   I credit a man name George Lofton for getting us interested in turkey hunting.  He was our neighbor in Mulberry Florida and was in his 60's then.  I was always fascinated with his turkey calls and his stories.  He was one of those old timers with that southern draw that could keep your attention for hours around the campfire , which is a real challenge with me.   It may have all been lies, but if they were,  they were good ones that caused me to think about turkey hunting almost non-stop.  My parents would even let me go with Mr. George if they were unable to go.  His Wife Violet would fry up chicken the night before so we would have lunch in the woods the next day.    I even got to kill a handful with Mr. George.    Man, I would give almost anything to get to go on one of those hunts again with Mr. George, or one of those weekend hunts with my parents.   My Mom still turkey hunts but my Dad is no longer able, but he told me the other day that they plan on coming up for a few weeks again this spring season.  His eyes still light up like they did so many years ago when me or my Mom kill one and bring it back to camp.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobbler428

Self taught, I was in my early 30's and started reading about turkey hunting and it's history in South Carolina. I read several books and articles on the subject, i.e. Henry Davis & Archibald Rutledge, bought a box call and went to the woods. I first turkey hunted in the spring of 1980 and hunted both the spring and fall seasons here in SC from 1981 - 1990. I have turkey hunted each spring season since 1990 - no fall season since and I'm still learning and trying to figure out how to do it!

davisd9

I started on my own then got cleaned up by THattaway. Also my friend Jeff started helping. I asked a few guys and no one really seemed interested in sharing so I just decided to do it. After a bit I learned a lot by messing up then I was fortunate to meet Mr. Theron and Jeff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

buzzardroost

Myself really. My Dad started taking me just as turkey hunting was becoming a "thing" locally. He had no idea what he was doing, I didn't either, so we just learned together by making tons of mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: darron on March 12, 2019, 09:34:57 PM
Darron, I really hate to hear that.   I'm sure this years hunts will be full of awesome memories, I hope for every tear they bring, they also bring a smile. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

zeke632

Hell, I'm still learning. Been hunting them since the early 80's. I'll generally run into a few dumb ones every year that just want it. I wish I had it figured out.