turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tube call users?

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 12, 2019, 12:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

When you use a tube call, do you use it more like a locator call to get a shock gobble or do you use it as a call to start and finish a bird on like a pot, box or mouth call? 

I watched a video of Cuz Strickland and he said he uses it as a locator more than anything else.

I can get a good cut and decent yelps on mine but I don't think I sound as good with it as my other types of calls.

Ctrize

I have not practiced much but have a tough time toning it down for yelps.I use it as a challange call and have had hens come to my gobbles which is normal when you think about it.

LaLongbeard

I use mine for loud clucks or cuts it yelps  ok but loud, not really a close range call imo. But works well on windy days or long distance.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

bobk

I use a tube on rainy and windy days, but mainly use them to locate in the mountains by  cutting.

Also use a tube to  call in the fall season.

Candyman

Start to finish. It's a very versatile call once you learn how to use it. It can be very loud or toned down for the soft stuff.

neal

This is how I run most of the time. Tube call and a crow call. That tube call is responsible for the death of lots of gobblers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

catman529

Killed my first turkey with a tube call, was a bunch of em in the field, toms hens and jakes. I clucked and purred and one hen got pissed and came running to 5 yards with two jakes on her tail. Shot one of the jakes at 6 steps.

It does make a good locator call, I like being able to cut it up real aggressively.

I also like a thinner reed like that from a latex glove. Easier to make softer yelps and clucks and also can get some good rasp out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1iagobblergetter

They are great locator calls,but like a few others said if you know how to run one you can call them right to the gun. I also like the lighter light yellow latex and don't care for the thicker green.

joey46

This is a repeat I think.  Bought this tube call when Knight/Hale still working in their barber shop in Cadiz, Ky.  Harold set it up and gobbled with it.  Last time it gobbled but I use it often for cuts and cackles.  Our season opens this Saturday.  Might be a good call to start with.  We have rain predicted and this is a great fowl weather call.  I cut down some diaphragms from their Widow Maker.  They work okay.

nyhunter

Start to finish, locating, basically any time, i have micro tube for softer/normal calling and a longer tube for louder calling, all 4 of my tubes are made by Matt McLaine, with a little practice you can tree call with one of his micro tubes.

turkeymanjim

Start to finish, from soft tree yelps and clucks in early morning to load cutts and yelps and gobbles running and gunning at midday. Yes I have pot calls and box calls and diaphragms. But what kills birds day in and day out is that different sound that the tube call makes that not many hunters utilize.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk