OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dying to get in the business.......

Started by Bustabeak, April 29, 2011, 09:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

Ok, I have wanted to get in the taxidermy business for a while now. I love birds. Ducks, geese, turkey but also want to do deer and all other animals. What is the best way to learn the business. School? If so, any recommendations? I live in Georgia and would want to try to stay local (in the state) if possible.  Or just get in a shop and learn it? Any help from you taxidermist out there would be much appreciated!

hobbes

Books and videos area one way.  School is another way.  One on one seminars are probably better.  Limiting yourself to GA for training will hold you back.  I'm not implying that there aren't good taxidermists there, but likely not a lot of training opportunities.  Check out www.Taxidermy.net for training options in your area and across the country. 

The taxidermy business is not an easy industry to make a good living in.  I believe this is said for many industries, but  "a good business man that is a mediocre taxidermist is more likely to make it than a poor business man thats a great taxidermist".  Don't fail to learn the business end of things if you plan to open your own business.  Don't fall into the trap of underpricing the competition either.  Your cutting your own throat by becoming overwhelmed with work and not making any money.  "But I won't get enough work" is the common response.  You can find this argued over and over on the forums on Taxidermy.net

Birds only

I give three day and two day classes for the turkeys. Check my site out www.birdsonly1.shutterfly.com