OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

In search of the Holy Grail

Started by dswmsn, March 11, 2019, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dswmsn

I am so confused! I have not patterned my Mossberg 835 w/ the Federal 3" TSS #9 or the 3 1/2" TSS #7's that I have yet. But please tell me why I hear that a Jebs .665 choke is the trick , while others say to use a more open full choke in the .720. constriction range in the overbored OFM 835 barrel? I have a plethora of factory and aftermarket chokes ranging from a Briley .665; Stardot .676;  a ported Primos Jelly Head & MAD 1006 in .690; HS Strut Undertaker and Mossberg Ulti-Full .695; a .695 or .700 Mossberg Extra Full (not sure which); and a Hastings .710. Not to mention a factory Mossberg Full 2 & BB steel and All Lead and a Mossberg Mod 2 & BB steel and All Lead chokes, both I am unaware of constriction size. I am not looking forward to the bruising effects of patterning that 1989/1990 Mossberg 24" non-ported barrel. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I am kind of curious on how that Mossberg Full stamped for "2 & BB Steel or All Lead" will shoot.

lowoctane

Don't forget the Lead Sled! On special now at various places for 50$... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

davisd9

The Federals seem to prefer a tighter choke, but as always the ultimate-mags seem to like a .670-.680 even with the Federals. You can never go wrong with a .675 or .676 in them. You will not get huge numbers you see some are getting with those Federal 7s as there are only about 185 pellets to the ounce with 7s. If you get around 150-18 then they are patterning great and they will smack one good. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

yelpy

The bigger shot likes a little more constriction than smaller shot.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk