OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

question for swamp hunters

Started by hotspur, March 11, 2019, 11:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

What are you wearing? I'm thinking of nam boots for Florida wma's. How do you dry your foot gear?

OJR

Kamik Bushman is my go to boot for all seasons. I'm 59 years old and have had just about every boot you can imagine. Even those over priced French ones and the Kamik's beat them all. I'll be packing my Kamik's for my Florida trip this weekend.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kamik-BUSHMAN-M-Mens-Bushman-M/dp/B00T9EA4U4/ref=sr_1_6?ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-s1060-win10-other-smile-us000-gatwy-feature-SEARC&keywords=kamik+camo+boots&qid=1552318950&s=gateway&sr=8-6&tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20

As for drying you can't beat a Peet dryer. Even for everyday drying the sweat out of your boots and shoes. Keeps the smell gone and makes your boots last longer.

https://smile.amazon.com/Original-2-Shoe-Electric-Dryer-Black/dp/B001J4HQ76/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2O3ODNT9OBO58&keywords=peet+boot+dryer&qid=1552319240&s=gateway&sprefix=peet+bo%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-5

Good luck in Florida.

SD_smith

Two options. Wear rubber and very likely step in a hole that goes over the top. Or embrace the suck and wear a pair of tennis shoes or low hiking boots.

I grew up either barefoot or in tennis shoes down there. Feet were gonna get wet regardless of what you wore most of the time, but that was also in South Florida where it is on average a heck of a lot wetter every year. Central Florida will probably be fairly dry just about every year unless you're somewhere around Three Lakes.

camotoe

Quote from: SD_smith on March 11, 2019, 12:03:52 PM
Two options. Wear rubber and very likely step in a hole that goes over the top. Or embrace the suck and wear a pair of tennis shoes or low hiking boots.

I grew up either barefoot or in tennis shoes down there. Feet were gonna get wet regardless of what you wore most of the time, but that was also in South Florida where it is on average a heck of a lot wetter every year. Central Florida will probably be fairly dry just about every year unless you're somewhere around Three Lakes.
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I saw where David from the Pinhoti project stated he wore crocks often while turkey hunting in Florida. Says your feet is gonna get wet regardless and crocks dry quicker than anything else and do not stink after wearing them through water day in and day out.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

rdjustham

I was born and raised here in South Florida, having wet feet is part of hunting down here.  Just one of them things.  If i am out at my family's place, i wear whatever, weve only killed two rattlesnakes in ten years and a couple moccasins near the pond.  If im hunting the glades I wear snake boots.  Your feet are going to be wet, they are heavy when they are soaked but ive seen too many snakes down there to wear crocs or tennis shoes.

derek

Just coming back from a week in the swamps of south florida...  best thing was having 2 pairs of boots to rotate out. Kept one pair on the line drying at camp while wearing the other. I had a pair of el cheapo hiking boots and an old pair of danners which were great because they have holes where they bend which worked perfect to drain. I would not be wearing anything nice.. and no way to rubber boots, youd spend the whole time dumping them out. I did wear snake gaiters. Closest call I had with a moccasin would have got me above them.  I brought crocs, but I'd worry about having them slip off pulling them out of the mud. Some of those swamps got pretty nasty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

camotoe

The newer crocs have an adjustable strap on the back . I have used sandals that you use for wade fishing they are not coming off in the mud and , pair of socks and sandals and your good to go .

SD_smith

I forgot to add that there was a time that we used spare dive boots we had laying around. Just a thin neoprene boot. Ended up putting a nice set of insoles in them and you could walk for days. Thin neoprene is different than thick neoprene so they never were dry, but skin tight and didn't hold any water. Honestly the most comfortable thing we came across. Only problem with crocs was the ants could get in the easily and I'd rather be stuck in a swarm of mosquitos than walk through a floating fire ant nest.

RutnNStrutn

Rubber boots are out for Florida. Unless you want your feet to be as soaking wet from sweat as from the water coming in over the top.
Crocs? Really? ;D I guess, but I'd like a little more protection for my tootsies. Plenty of stuff to stick you and bite you in Florida other than snakes.
I wear Redhead snake boots. They lightweight, comfortable, breathable, don't make you sweat, their waterproof (for a while anyway, longer than any other snake boot I've tried), they dry fairly quickly and they're snakeproof - which for me is a MUST after having been bitten twice by cottonmouths. I'm only here because of my snake boots. They're inexpensive comparatively, which means I have an extra pair at my hunt camp, and when they eventually start leaking it doesn't hurt to replace them. Then you can use the leaky pair for dry ground hunting. Plus, you can buy a boot dryer with the money you save!! ;D

roberthyman14

I wear a pair of snake boots every time I'm in the woods.  Every few weeks I will hit them with a brush and hose them off.  Once dry. Coat them with sno seal or like spray.  Keeps them waterproof. To many snakes in our area. And the briar patches would eat your feet alive in crocs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ranger

Quote from: hotspur on March 11, 2019, 11:02:52 AM
What are you wearing? I'm thinking of nam boots for Florida wma's. How do you dry your foot gear?

Those are called Altama Jungle boots with the iconic Panama Sole and drain holes, best overall pick you could ever choose for Florida.  I have a pair in my tool box that used to be turkey stompers, now just backups. Keep an extra pair of socks and you'd be surprised how quickly they dry out. Stay away from the all leather, you want the canvas panels for drying. eBay has them regularly and I'd try to find the USA made versions, some models are imported now.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

rdjustham

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 11, 2019, 06:36:35 PM
I wear Redhead snake boots. They lightweight, comfortable, breathable, don't make you sweat, their waterproof (for a while anyway, longer than any other snake boot I've tried), they dry fairly quickly and they're snakeproof -

Same ones I use.

Turkeyslayer7

Quote from: Ranger on March 11, 2019, 07:56:40 PM
Quote from: hotspur on March 11, 2019, 11:02:52 AM

Those are called Altama Jungle boots with the iconic Panama Sole and drain holes, best overall pick you could ever choose for Florida.  I have a pair in my tool box that used to be turkey stompers, now just backups. Keep an extra pair of socks and you'd be surprised how quickly they dry out. Stay away from the all leather, you want the canvas panels for drying. eBay has them regularly and I'd try to find the USA made versions, some models are imported now.

I wear something similar nearly the whole season unless I know for sure that I won't be going thru water. With good socks they dry very quick

THattaway

Depends on the definition of swamp. I wear knee high mucks all season in the piedmont to low country SC swamps. If it's deeper than knee boot deep I find a way around or over. I also wear poly liner socks underneath a thin boot sock. If I do go in over the top, which happens every year somehow or other, I drain the boot and wring the socks and walk them dry. The liner sock will help a lot with that too, saving your feet even in normal use as some already mentioned heat here.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles