OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bug Spray for Clothing

Started by MS Turkey Chaser, March 08, 2019, 09:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS Turkey Chaser

What's everyone's experiences with spraying hunting clothes down with  permethrin insect spray before the season?  Spray once and don't wash until end of season?  Thinking about trying it to keep off ticks along with the thermocell for the skeeters.  Thanks in advance. 

vthokie7227

Most anything your curious about related to Permethrin can be found here: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=81407.0

Me personally, I spray all my clothes down with Permethrin about a week before the season starts and don't wash them until the season is over. Sometimes I'll give my clothes an extra shot mid-season. Overall, Permethrin has been a game changer for me. I haven't found a tick on me since I started using it.

Ranger

As long as you dilute to no lesser than .07% the clothes can be washed up to around 8-10 times and maintain the treatment. Do it you won't regret it.  I spray 38% at 2 oz per gallon in the yard and around the house and the mosquitoes are gone for about a week, and mosquitoes are worse where I live than your house guaranteed, so if you have them bad get some off of eBay and change your Summer.  I can go outside at 3am and won't get bit
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

cwb04

The last couple seasons I have used a product I actually bought at Wally World and it worked very well.  Not a tick in two years!  I believe it was made by Sawyer?  Spray on your clothes and you are good for 30-40 days.  The bottle I have used will cover 2 sets of shirts and pants pretty well.

cracker4112

It works.  I usually reapply every couple weeks.  Ticks are no joke.

Turkeytider

Quote from: MS Turkey Chaser on March 08, 2019, 09:03:55 AM
What's everyone's experiences with spraying hunting clothes down with  permethrin insect spray before the season?  Spray once and don't wash until end of season?  Thinking about trying it to keep off ticks along with the thermocell for the skeeters.  Thanks in advance.

Absolutely DO NOT give it a second thought. DO IT !!  Wal Mart carries permethrin spray ( I think the brand is Repel ? ). Easy to get, easy to use and as essential a piece  of " equipment " as your calls, gun and shells.

haystaddle

Agreed. My local Home Depot has row upon row of Sawyers Permethrin.  Like others. I spray my gear including boots, vest, blind, decoy bags and even the seat covers of my truck. Don't take a single chance.

Spring Creek Calls

Here's what I use. One good spray down lasts all season. I believe this will be the third season on this size (24 oz).

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

longspur

I don't mean to hijack turkeychasers post but it's the same topic. Can the garments you buy pretreated be trusted??

bbcoach

Don't go in the woods without it...period.  Ticks are carrying more diseases then ever and are everywhere.  Since we park our butts on the ground and crawl around in the woods we need this protection.  Sawyers is one option but I prefer Martins 10% permethrin mix 1 ounce to 20 ounces of water for a .5% solution in a spray bottle.  Take everything you hunt in (vest, hat, gloves, mask, pants, shirt, boots) and apply liberally a day or two before hunting.  Hang it up and let dry and your good to go.  When you wash your clothes, lightly apply again and you will be good through the season.  Don't take the chance with Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and other things associated with ticks.  It's not worth the risk.  Many on this website can give their testimonies of what ticks have done to them.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Turkeyman62

A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

Tail Feathers

Use the Permethrin on your clothes and gear every season!!!

It's almost as important as carrying a gun for turkey hunting. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mtns2hunt

Well you guys have sold me. I will get some of this Sawyer's. I have been using repel purchased at Walmart but have had mixed results. I still pull several ticks off me. The place I hunt can be really bad some years and even the Turkeys are crawling with ticks.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

roberthyman14

Sawyers all day everyday.  I spray everything. No chances.  2 thermacell for  mosquitos.  Now if I only had something for snakes I would be good

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

I use Duration concentrate from Travelers Supply.  It is more expensive up front, but in the long run it treats more clothing for less money.  Permethrin is freaking magic.  It kills ticks, chiggers, & repels mosquitoes. Since I added a ThermaCell, I barely see skeeters. Win/Win!

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.