turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

frozen fan

Started by tha bugman, March 06, 2019, 03:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

A friend asked if I had a spare fan laying around that he could use on his full bodied strutter.  I did have one from last year in the freezer so I dug it out...however I thawed it out and I believe it is too far gone as I can only get it to spread out so far.  Any method of rehydrating the flesh so I can spread it then borax it or am I just wasting my time?

MK M GOBL

I leave all mine frozen until I go to set them and no issues, was it put in freezer day of kill?

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

If you have a frost free freezer and don't wrap it perhaps it freeze dried. The dif between you n MakMGobl may be the storage method. Wrap it in good to keep moisture in next time or preserve it n be done. A year though isn't crazy long and it should open.  Normally I'd inject water into the flesh but idk if I'll work on a real bad fan. There's not much meat.  Worth a try though

Gobspur

I had one once that wasnt wrapped up good or I left the ziplock open, and after about a year I pulled it out and the meat on the fan was essentially freeze dried. I just took it apart completely and cleaned each quill. You could try soaking in water, or just cut each feather out and glue back together onto a piece of cardboard or wood.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Brighthd

I think I saw a tube that shows you how to do a fan without the connective tissue if the feathers are good I think you can make one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gobspur

Like this....

tha bugman

Quote from: Gobspur on March 06, 2019, 04:40:14 PM
Like this....

Think that I am just going to do this...seems easier and just as effective.

blake_08

I had one in the freezer for 2 or 3 years one time and when i thawed it out, it was like you described. I started cutting off all of the old freezer dried meat and the more i cut off the more limber the fan got. I didnt separate the feathers like the picture above, but i cleaned every bit of meat and fat off that i could was left only with the skin holding all of the feathers in place. It turned out just as good as any fan i've ever fleshed. The old dried up jerky meat took more time and care to cut off, but if you can get it all cut off without damaging the skin i think you can save it. Good luck.

hush

I am a taxidermist and have done fan mounts from turkey that were thrown in a freezer unprotected for more than a decade. A little original Dawn and water with borax will rehydrate the most impossibly dried tail fan meat/fat/skin. I do leave the tail skin attached with the other feathers to fill out the fan. Wash in Dawn after cleaning the fat off with a wire wheel. A small wire brush works too.

Greg Massey

I always clean and do my fan's the day i kill the bird ... I know this doesn't help, but it's a way to solve the problem..  I've been give out from hunting all day or whatever , but i just take care of the fan ... good luck with your fan ...

Gobble!

Quote from: Gobspur on March 06, 2019, 04:40:14 PM
Like this....

100%.