Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Pulled the trigger on a new turkey killer

Started by Hayudog, March 05, 2019, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Bought a Hatfield, $100 shot gun at Walmart. It's a .410 that kicks like a rented mule!  Got a mouse under my right eye the first time I shot it with 2 1/2" #6 shot that I use for shooting gophers in the yard.
Then two days later I found a Savage .410 single shot. Their turkey gun. Savage 301Turkey in .410. It comes with a rail for a red dot, extra full screw in choke.
Bought 3 boxes of Federal TSS.... which cost as much as the Hatfield, and looking forward to shooting the Savage at some paper. Guys have been getting patterns that hold up to a 40 yard turkey killer w/ TSS.
Shot them with a 12 ga., 20 ga., a bow and a pellet rifle.  Hope to add a .410 to that list this year.
Roaring 20's... let's get a Roaring .410 thing going! 

TrackeySauresRex

:z-guntootsmiley:

Good luck with the new pea shooter Doggy!
Enjoy
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Deputy 14

Sure beats packing a 12 around and will kill just as efficiently.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Deputy 14 on March 06, 2019, 11:52:50 AM
Sure beats packing a 12 around and will kill just as efficiently.

Went to a 20 a couple of years ago, great move on my part. If they leagalize 9's here I'd go to the 410  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Hayudog

Hope they legalize 9's TrackyRex for ya.   No question they are leathal. Rolled that bird with Jim last year in Florida with my 20 and 9's. Have not carried a 12 in at least 7 years. Looks like the size of pepper flakes when I'm loading them.

Mountainburd

Good deal.  Incredible how TSS has turned the turkey hunting industry upside down. 

I did not have good results the other day patterning Federal TSS out of my 20.  I believe I'm overchoked.  My patterns are blowing out.  Rather than mess with a new choke, I may stick with the hevishots which pattern very well. We shall see.....still time.

suburbhunter

RutnNStrutn

Sweet little pop gun Hayudog!! Load 'er up with some of those #9 TSS's and you'll be dropping gobblers. Let us know how many yards it is effective out to.

Hayudog

I'll post up pattern pictures when I get to it.  Off to New Zealand next week. Back in the states about the 10th of April. Our Calif season will be in full swing.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Hayudog on March 08, 2019, 02:24:44 PM
I'll post up pattern pictures when I get to it.  Off to New Zealand next week. Back in the states about the 10th of April. Our Calif season will be in full swing.
Awesome brother!!! :firefighter: :icon_thumright:
Safe travels, best of luck and give me a buzz when you get back home. :fud: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

Hayudog

Quote from: Mountainburd on March 06, 2019, 07:22:19 PM
Good deal.  Incredible how TSS has turned the turkey hunting industry upside down. 

I did not have good results the other day patterning Federal TSS out of my 20.  I believe I'm overchoked.  My patterns are blowing out.  Rather than mess with a new choke, I may stick with the hevishots which pattern very well. We shall see.....still time.

You are most likely over choked. My Savage 220 single shot throws 220 hits in the 10" at 40 with the stock fixed full and a 2 3/4" shell...gun is a 1940's gun. My Smith &Wesson semi auto does about the same with a factory full screw in choke. 1 9/16 #9 TSS.

So, try a factory full or if you can find an extra full, or call Sumtoy. He'll line you up. All good options.