Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunt tread

Started by camotoe, March 05, 2019, 08:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Well I've been incredibly blessed and have had a great start to this Turkey season. I've been two times and gotten two Turkeys.  I decided to hit it pretty hard this first week before the turkeys get to skittish and I'm glad I went today. I thought I knew where a bird was going to be roosted so I tried to get in super close and had to walk through some cutover and ended up making all kinds of noise. Luckily I don't think he was there because I never heard him fly off the roost or gobble. I just sat and waited for a while and finally a bird got fired up and started gobbling. I decided to work towards him as quick as I could. I was able to sneak around and get pretty close. Eventually I got so close that I felt like I couldn't even move to re-position. The set up was really terrible. I was in some thick stuff and to my right was the edge of a huge hardwood drop off. As I was sitting there for a minute I realized I can actually see the turkey on the roost so I got to watch him strut and gobble for quite a while and that was one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to see while hunting.  He was probably 70-80yds. I was really reluctant to call any because my set up was not very good. I was pinned down and couldn't do anything so I decided I would just send him a couple real soft yelps just to let him know I was there and as soon as he flew down I was gonna try to make a move. He pitched down at 7 o'clock on the dot and I decided to wait until I heard him gobble one more time to see what he was doing so I could adjust my set up. Well it didn't take just a couple minutes and I could hear the turkey and he was coming my way. I can hear him spitting and drumming and it was just a minute or two later I saw him through the brush. He begin to skirt towards the edge of the big drop off and he was just over the lip enough that I could not see him. He was spitting and drumming the whole time and he was super close. He finally worked past me enough that I had to switch my gun from right to left hand and eventually I just decided to get up on my knees. I had forgot to put my mouth call in and I couldn't reach my slate so I began scratching the leaves a little bit just to let him know where I was. I finally began to raise up to try to see the bird  and as I started to move he started clucking and bobbing his head. He turned to go back the way he came from and I was able to get a shot. I knocked him down and got up to chase him and he rolled all the way down the big hill. This is definitely one of my most memorable hunts. He pitched out of the tree at 7 o'clock and I pulled the trigger at 7:08. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camotoe

Great story  , congratulations on an awesome hunt.  Man hope you got more birds to take .

aclawrence

I was really just hoping to get a bird this year.   Everything now is just a bonus!

zelmo1

Another awesome hunt bro. You are killin it. I am happy if I can get out to scout up here. It will break and I will be able to enjoy what you are now. Great season so far bro  :funnyturkey:

aclawrence

I realize this must be torture for all the northern guys lol.  I'll be pouting because my season is over.  Maybe I'll have to come up and join someone.

aclawrence

Well guys wish me luck tomorrow. My wife and I are going to go out for a hike. We need a chance to get away from the kids and hang out a little bit and she wanted to do something outside. We'll we're going on an armed hike lol.  I'm going to use this as a chance to look over somewhere I've been wanting to walk through. The goal will be to have fun and hopefully avoid other hunters. And since we'll be out there around 10-1 or so I'll be listing intently for lonesome gobblers looking for love.  Good luck to the rest of y'all who are hunting this weekend.

zelmo1

NH and Maine start May 1st bro

camotoe

Another slow day for me went in 3-1/2 miles . Never heard a bird . Last day down here for south zone tomorrow . Big cypress is dry makes for easy walking . Nice in the morning at 4 am but hot coming out was 87 felt hotter! my water hole bromeliad blooming hope to have a turkey photo tomorrow

aclawrence

Pretty landscape down there. We only got to spend 30-45 in the woods. Me catching a crawfish was the highlight of the day!

camotoe

Mud bugs , yum ????

zelmo1

zelmo1

Birds were getting active, aaand we had an ice storm today  :OGturkeyhead:

camotoe

It wasn't happening Sunday for me the birds are not around where I was hunting . Well the big cypress is done hope to move my hunts up to central fla public land , longing to hear some gobbles or see some tracks.

aclawrence

Heard a few gobblers this morning even though the weather was stinky. I had to leave a bird around 9:15. I think they were just getting going. They were all down in bottoms and gobbling but not particularly interested in any of my calls.

camotoe

Another storm for you north boys . Be safe