OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hanks Aluminum Call Question

Started by rakkin6, March 02, 2019, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

Just bought a hanks aluminum in paduak, just wondering if anyone on here has one. If you do do you rough it up every now and then and if you do what do you use 220 grit paper, green pad etc. Also do you use alcohol to clean it. Tanks for any tips you can give me.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

MikeStaten

Scotch brite and rubbing alcohol is all you need.  If you still have any issues with getting your striker to grip you can try a little rain chalk too.

BTH

I don't have a Hank's but I do have another anodized call. I sanded it with 220 until the areas I wanted to play on were almost silver to burgundy colored. After I did that it played almost 100% consistent every time. I will say once you do that, it will be hard to re sell at a competitive price if you ever want to get rid of it.
Phil 4:13

Jbird22

I taped off a small area on mine and conditioned it laterally with 220 grit sandpaper. It really brought it to life.

Harty

Clean with alcohol wipes. You must keep contaminates such as oil from your hands off. Condition with a red scotch brite. As mentioned previously an occasional touch up with 220 grits sandpaper does jump start it bringing it to life.

Double B

220 is all I use on it, lightly. 
Followed by buzzards

870BkWht

I use 320 lightly then smooth it out with a green scotchbrite on mine. 

jdub2041

Sanded mine to raw aluminum!! It's my #1!!!!

Bowguy

Quote from: 870BkWht on March 02, 2019, 09:56:54 PM
Why do you smooth it out? You're trying to put ridges in

870BkWht

Quote from: Bowguy on March 03, 2019, 03:41:24 PM
Quote from: 870BkWht on March 02, 2019, 09:56:54 PM
Why do you smooth it out? You're trying to put ridges in

Because it makes the purrs sound better.  If I just use the paper the purrs are too choppy if that makes sense. I know it works well for me.